Red light delay PLC Help

Japagaijin

I am stuck on where to put the 5th timer to put a 3 second delay on the red light in the traffic light program. I have a pic of my plc rungs here
4LzLNx0

Last edited:
add delay to red N/S or to red E/W? add delay to transition to on or to off?

if to both red N/S and to red E/W, then with your current design, I think you need a fifth and a sixth timer (maybe TOFs)

With a re-design, I think you can get away with one timer total.

Last edited:
Help!!

I need both sides to be on the same delay. Both red lights need to be on for 3 seconds together before the next green cycle starts

I need both sides to be on the same delay. Both red lights need to be on for 3 seconds together before the next green cycle starts

No new timers required. Changes to [Red N/S] and [Green N/S] shown below; similar code for [Red E/W] and [Green E/W] is left for OP as an exercise.

4LzLNx0.png

Single-timer approach using .ACC: assumes symmetrical operation across directions; includes 3s delay/overlap with both directions red (shown).

Roughly the same number of instructions as OP (2-3doz), but provides separation of concerns:

• Timing-related logic on rungs 0-2
    • Single timer with breakpoints, plus [N/S half-cycle] bit, means all timing requirements need be written once only (rung 2)
  • Light logic on rungs 3-6
    • Probably busier than it needs to be e.g. take my "Green or Yellow" bit. Please.
  • Intrinsically safe logic(?)
    • Opposite directions' Greens/Yellows dependent on [N/S half-cycle] bit
    • Red lights dependent on same-direction green and yellow only, not timing
Also, it has my favorite circuit, the flip-flop ;).

Caveats

• It is unlikely that this is the the first instance of this approach
  • I thought this would be cleaner than the cascading timers of OP, and the separation of concerns does help, but in the end it's clarity is less than expected.
  • SQO-driven or similar would be much cleaner and is probably the best way.
  • This approach will probably not scale to more complex intersections e.g. turn arrows, sensors.
  • GRTs should compare against 299 and 2499, not 300 and 2500
xxx.png