Rockwell Software Developer Toolkit Program

Mark Buskell

Has anyone here purchased the Rockwell Software Developer Toolkit Program and what did they think of it.

I am currently getting a quote for it.

First let me tell you up-front that I am an RA distributor. However, I used to work as an integrator for an engineering firm W/approx. 10 integrators. We loved it, because there were enough licenses to go around. I'm usre your AB guy has told you that it is a one-year lease and the activations will expire if you don't renew. But for all that you get, (not to mention discounts on additional software product purchases) I think it's a good deal.

I had never heard of it, so I looked at their website.

Anyone know how you show you can influnece $10K in AB sales in a year?

How economical is the access to software?

That reminds me of what I saw today in an e-mail from my distributor:

A.I. Series™ Software

All A.I. Series software packages include documentation, reporting, upload and

download and program comparison capabilities. All Allen-Bradley processor
communication devices are supported except where noted; including Data Highway™/Data Highway Plus™ (DH/DH+™) or DH-485 for SLC 500. All A.I. Series software products require Microsoft DOS version 5.0 or later and also run on the Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 operating systems.

Communication drivers included where necessary.

PLC-2® and 1774-PLC
9323-L2300D
PLC-2/1774-PLC Offline/Online Programming

$10,585

PLC-3®

9323-L3300D
PLC-3 Offline/Online Programming

$13,688

Last edited:
Why???

The only really large company that I know of that still uses AI as a STANDARD is Anheuser-Busch... :confused:
And to add salt to the wound, heck of a price...

PS... Actually I know why, its stable, sold, and no windows errors...

The high price is too discourage its use. Rockwell still support the product which obviously does cost them so it is a way of trying to wean the industry away from its use. (I do agree with their methods) It is better than saying to the client "bad luck, we dont sell or support that product anymore" Regards Alan

Mark Buskell said:
Has anyone here purchased the Rockwell Software Developer Toolkit Program and what did they think of it.

I think that's the program we're using. It has certainly been nice to have a license handy for most of the RA software. But, it's a cost-benefit analysis that you need to do for yourself.

AK

As far as I know with developer toolkit you are getting software valued over $100K for fraction of the cost, all software updates and phone support. This is excellent value.

I am a "one man show" and the first thing I did when I set up business last year was get the Toolkit. I mostly use RSLogix500, RSLogix5, PanelBuilder32, RSViewStudio for ME, and occasionally other program such as RSNetworx for DeviceNet and RSView32. If I were to buy all these software programs and then keep the support up on them it would cost me a fortune. With the Toolkit I get all those products and a lot more.

I was awarded a CompactLogix project last fall; no problem RSLogix5000 is also part of the package. I think its an excellent program and I wouldn't consider getting my AB software any other way. Of course as someone else mentioned, its all about cost and benefit. If you only use one of two software packages it may be more economical to purchase them seperately.