GE Fanuc VersaMax Interface Software?

kpgubert

Hello,
This is probably an easy question—or at least I hope it is—and it will show how green I am. I've been tasked with troubleshooting a GE Fanuc PLC system. I haven't worked with a GE Fanuc system before. All I'm looking to do is monitor the system – not make any changes. I have some old documentation for the system referencing VersaPro Programming Software, but I believe this is obsolete? Through searching I've also seen GE Fanuc Proficy Machine software may be what I need? If this is what I need, is there a specific version? 5.80?
The processor is a CPUE05 and it does have an ethernet port, so I think the only things I need to interface with the system is the correct software application (Proficy Machine? Or whatever that may be?), an ethernet cable, and an IP address for the CPU. Does this sound reasonable?
Again, I'm just looking for the easiest/cheapest way to monitor the system.
Any insight is much appreciated! Thank you!

GE's PLC business has been purchased by Emerson. You're correct that VersaPro software is obsolete. The current software is called Proficy Machine Edition and the current version is 9.8. There is a lower cost version of Proficy for those lower end models.
Your best bet is to contact a local distributor. Powermation and GEXPRO both used to handle GE PLCs in your area before the Emerson deal and I expect they still do. I know GEXPRO in my area still does.
When you extract the program from the PLC you will only get the ladder logic, no rung comments or tag descriptions. The Versa Max line doesn't support documentation storage in the CPU like the newer PAC systems line.