Old black panelview 900 flash card name?

JeremyAdair87

I have those old early 90's panel views in my plant. I use an old XP image to get the program back into them but maintenance wanted a way to do it without my help.:rolleyes:

I know I have used them before but heck I am too young to know what they are called. (n) One place called them Compact Flash on Google but I have a compact flash card and it is too tiny.

Does anyone know the name of the flash card that goes into the old panel views?

Hopefully I can find an old junk pile online to buy them from. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, ATA Linear Flash. If the firmware is new enough, they can also read a CF card formatted as FAT16 at 2gb or less inserted with a PCMCIA to CF adapter. I believe firmware has to be 2.0 or newer but I could be wrong on that...

That is by far the best way to transfer programs to and from Panelview Standards with PCMCIA slots.

The oldest PanelView Standard terminals (early v1 and v2 PanelView 550 and 900) used only Linear Flash cards.

These were physically very similar to ATA Flash cards, as they both used the PCMICIA Type II physical form factor. But RA bet on the wrong horse in that race, and Linear Flash became obsolete quickly. You used to be able to buy external (I think they used the parallel port) drives to read Linear Flash cards.

Newer PanelView Standard terminals with v3 or later firmware will also support ATA Flash devices, including CompactFlash cards that are held in a PCMCIA Type II adapter.

The cards have to be formatted for the FAT16 file system. Typically that means the card is under 2 GB in capacity.

If you have a PanelView terminal with v1 or v2 firmware, then it's about 20 years old and you should be planning on how you're going to upgrade when it fails.