PanelView Plus 1000 use as a second monitor

autotec

Well gentlemen, (and some ladies I assume) this is my first post here so please excuse me if I sound not too bright when I talk about this. I have been searching and reading for days and still can't come up with a answer or solution.

I have a PanelView Plus 1000 that I'm trying to use as just a touch screen monitor for now, but have much bigger plans for it in the future. But for now I would like it to display the desktop of the controlling PC and act like simple touch screen monitor. Is this unit capable of something that simple? I wouldn't think it would be this difficult, but I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Welcome autotec, don't worry about asking what you might consider "stupid" questions, as long as you aren't asking someone to do your homework, you are usually ok here!

The PanelView plus is a computer, running Windows CE. So using just the display part and feeding it back to a PC is not that simple. If you think about it, you'd need the ability to get the video from the PC to the PanelView, which it doesn't have. Plus you'd need something to get the touch input back to the PC, which it doesn't have.

Welcome autotec, don't worry about asking what you might consider "stupid" questions, as long as you aren't asking someone to do your homework, you are usually ok here!

The PanelView plus is a computer, running Windows CE. So using just the display part and feeding it back to a PC is not that simple. If you think about it, you'd need the ability to get the video from the PC to the PanelView, which it doesn't have. Plus you'd need something to get the touch input back to the PC, which it doesn't have.

Ah, that's what I was coming up with too. I guess I just didn't want to believe it. I guess I'll just shelf this thing till it comes time to use it and buy a touch screen monitor. I guess that's what I get for assuming something. Thank you for the quick answer. All I have to say is this home built CNC is getting more expensive by the day, LOL.

Ah, that's what I was coming up with too. I guess I just didn't want to believe it. I guess I'll just shelf this thing till it comes time to use it and buy a touch screen monitor. I guess that's what I get for assuming something. Thank you for the quick answer. All I have to say is this home built CNC is getting more expensive by the day, LOL.

Haha, home built stuff is almost always that way! It's usually much more fun than just buying it though, so that's worth something right?

Haha, home built stuff is almost always that way! It's usually much more fun than just buying it though, so that's worth something right?

LOL, you are correct sir. Plus you get to built it the way you want it, and not just the way it comes. It's been a learning experience, I guess it will never end. Time to read some more, thanks again!

Just a thought, if it is windows CE will it not run some type of remote software, eg. vnc or other

I have read that, you would think it would. According to the manual, the PanelView comes with some sort of VNC software on it, still reading though. I'm not giving up yet.....still have a few beers to drink, 🍻

I'm not a networking guy, or really a computer guy for that matter, but the PanelView is communicating with my laptop since Windows CE did install on my laptop from the panelview via USB cable. Still playing though.

Catalog Number...

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Saying you have a "PanelView Plus 1000" does not automatically tell us it has a CE logic module. The full catalog number, however, will. It could just be a base-configured terminal with a standard logic module and no Windows CE .NET. That is, just FactoryTalk View ME and firmware installed.

However, judging by your last post it does "appear" to be a CE based terminal, but can you please provide the catalog number so we can be sure?

2711P-??????

Outside to in...

PanelView Plus CE terminals do not support Remote Desktop Sharing to allow a remote computer connect in and view/control the terminal.

Instead...

For PanelView Plus CE terminals the VNC option allows a computer remote in to the terminal. VNC Server is loaded on the terminal and runs in the background waiting for remote clients to connect using VNC Viewer.

Inside to out...

For PanelView Plus CE terminals to connect and view/control a remote computer, it comes preloaded withe Remote Desktop Thin Client. A Remote Desktop Host needs to be setup on the remote computer before the PanelView Plus CE terminal can connect and start a session.

For PanelView Plus CE terminals I have done "Outside to in" before, but not "Inside to out". So I'm not 100% sure on the Remote Desktop Thin Client setup and how well it works, if at all.

But it does give you something to work with, if you have a CE terminal.

Regards,
George

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Saying you have a "PanelView Plus 1000" does not automatically tell us it has a CE logic module. The full catalog number, however, will. It could just be a base-configured terminal with a standard logic module and no Windows CE .NET. That is, just FactoryTalk View ME and firmware installed.

However, judging by your last post it does "appear" to be a CE based terminal, but can you please provide the catalog number so we can be sure?

2711P-??????

Outside to in...

PanelView Plus CE terminals do not support Remote Desktop Sharing to allow a remote computer connect in and view/control the terminal.

Instead...

For PanelView Plus CE terminals the VNC option allows a computer remote in to the terminal. VNC Server is loaded on the terminal and runs in the background waiting for remote clients to connect using VNC Viewer.

Inside to out...

For PanelView Plus CE terminals to connect and view/control a remote computer, it comes preloaded withe Remote Desktop Thin Client. A Remote Desktop Host needs to be setup on the remote computer before the PanelView Plus CE terminal can connect and start a session.

For PanelView Plus CE terminals I have done "Outside to in" before, but not "Inside to out". So I'm not 100% sure on the Remote Desktop Thin Client setup and how well it works, if at all.

But it does give you something to work with, if you have a CE terminal.

Regards,
George

George, sorry about the delay. The wedding I was at took ALL day. I think I burned through most of the data on my phone researching this today. LOL.

The catalog number on my unit is 2711P-T10C4D8. It does have windows CE on it, but from what I'm reading, not the expanded features. (not sure if that's what you call it, going by memory here) Judging by your post, I have ALOT more reading to do, and I thank you for that. It gives me something to go on. Anymore info would be great.

Thanks again, Justin

autotec, you can use VNC to make your PanelView act like a touch screen monitor.

Your catalog # is a PanelView Plus 6, which includes VNC server and client.
As a client your PanelView would see/control your remote computer. Install a VNC server on your computer, such as TightVNC.

You cannot use Remote Desktop Services with your catalog, as all the extra Microsoft apps only come with the Extended Features terminal 2711P-$$$9

P.4 of the tech specs
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/2711p-td005_-en-p.pdf