Rockwell software: Server based license Auto-borrow/return?

PreLC

Hello PLCS.net!

I have a server running with FactoryTalk activation manager on it.

I activated a RSL5000 license on it, and can borrow/return licenses from other computers which have access to the license.

How do I configure it to automatically check out licenses and return them, so the process if more or less automatic?

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks!
PreLC

How it works for us is that the software (RS5000) will grab a license from the server when it opens up. I can then check the server from Factorytalk Activation Manager and see zero available and one in use.

When I close RS5000, the license is no longer in use, and FTAM will show one available/zero in use. This seems to done automatically anyways. I didn’t set it up to do that.

Now, say if I want to check out a license for an entire day. I can borrow a license and set up when to return it. This is handy if you are going to be on a job site for a length of time.
I’ve only done that once and can’t remember any other details.

Hope this helped.

I rechecked, and part of my issue is that there is a warning message visible on the client machine that says that the server's factorytalk activation manager needs to be upgraded.

I'm going to try the upgrade and see if it works.

Thanks!
-TL