Wrong analog input readings

Guys, it is a current LOOP. As long as the current travels in the same direction through each device, electrically the order does not matter.

In real electron flow (not conventional flow), current flows out of the power supply on the negative terminal, enters most negative side of the next device, leaves + terminal, goes to most negaive side of second device, leaves plus terminal, goes to most negative side of third device, leaves plus terminal, and finally arrives back at the power supply + terminal.

It is possible that the added reistance of the extra plc input is changing the loop current some, but probably this is not a significant error source. To make the operator display readings of the two PLCs match, you must adjust the scaling factors in each PLC program, and maybe also in each operator panel display. Most likely they are not scaled with the same instructions, or use different scale factors.

Last edited:
Agreed. Kirchoff's first law dictates that current is EXACTLY the same at all points in the loop. If loop impedence is too high for the transmitter then both inputs would read wrong. The problem is most likely a configuration problem somewhere. Scaling on the two PLCs will not be the same.

Last edited:
His diagram shows the transducer as a 2 wire device. So it does apply. If it were a 3 or 4 wire device then it would be supplying current. As a 2 wire device it can only modify its internal resistance to provide a 4-20 ma throughput.

To make the operator display readings of the two PLCs match, you must adjust the scaling factors in each PLC program, .............Most likely they are not scaled with the same instructions, or use different scale factors.
Lancie1, this was my exact analysis also. I'm just not a programmer...do you think i will be able to do something like that without have to take a course at MIT? and what did you mean by "[/B][/U]"?

guys, i don't want this to go in the wrong direction, so just a quick reply will do for me. Am i missing a 250 ohm resistor in this HART loop? And other piece of info that might prove to be of some aid, the PS is some, 325ft+ away from the SLC500 and then the same signal comes back via the transducer to the PLC5 which is right next the the PS, so that's close to a 650 to 700ft current loop.

Last edited:
Have measured your signal with a meter and just the pressure transducer and a known level/volume in the tank?
If so, is the reading correct?
4mA = Empty
12mA = 50% full or X amount of weight
20mA = 100% Full or X amount of weight

I assume you know what your pressure transducer is calibrated for.

HTH

Have measured your signal with a meter and just the pressure transducer and a known level/volume in the tank?
If so, is the reading correct?
4mA = Empty
12mA = 50% full or X amount of weight
20mA = 100% Full or X amount of weight

Lancie1, this was my exact analysis also. I'm just not a programmer...do you think i will be able to do something like that without have to take a course at MIT? and what did you mean by "[/b][/u]"?

What Lancie1 means by the
and maybe also in each operator panel display.
is that the operator display could have a scaling factor built in to the display itself. It is not uncommon for programmers to have a number displayed being off so instead of adjusting it in the plc, then the programmer goes into the display and adds some kind of scaling factor to make it appear correct. By the way - I try to avoid doing this because of the confusion it can cause (and the fact that you might have to adjust 2 different systems to get a number to display correctly.

To get a good (IMHO) instrument for reading 4-20ma without breaking the loop, I use the Fluke 771 (http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Cla...mp-Process-Clamp-Meter.htm?PID=69415&trck=771). These can be picked up for around $400 new and work great.

If you want to post the code, there are many here that can check the scaling factors and Input config.

What i did do was rewired the + signal, now it's coming from the PS + to the transducer's +, from the transducer - to the SLC 500 + input analog, from the SLC analog - back to the + analog input of the PLC5. Now i have 0lbs from the PLC5' operators display an 8lbs at the SLC's operators readout while the tank is empty. that's good! i then put 2000lbs of water in the tank and their both reading the same but only reading 1,500lbs. i then put another 2000lbs in and now, there still reading the same, bout now 2500lbs. I'M BAFFLED! it's 4000lbs of water in the tank.

Is the tank symmetrical? Is it cylindrical or rectangular? In other words, if you double the volume of water, does the height of the water double as well? If the tank is symmetrical, then pressure should have a linear relationship with the volume of water.

For example: if your tank is cone shaped, then the relationship between the water pressure and volume will not be linear.