Is a Profibus DP Master typically Station 0 ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm setting up a Profibus DP network with Hilscher NetTap 100 as the master, and getting used to SyCON configuration software.

Is the Profibus DP Master device typically set up as Station Address 00 ?

I'm retrofitting a system where the field devices are addressed as Stations 1 through 72, so it makes sense that the Master is Station 0. I just wanted to check with more expert folks.

Hi Ken,

Profibus address range is 0 - 127.

Address - 126 AND 127 are reserved for special functions.

Address 0 - Usually reserved for network configuration tool, PG etc.

Address 1 - Master

Address - 2 to 125 - Devices.

This is what my company follows and most other venders I have worked with.

Regards.

I agree with OMS_MAN. I'll also add that it may be beneficial to avoid slave address 2, as a lot of the devices I've used seemed to come preset to that address. Some slaves get set via dip switches, but some need to be accessed first. The ones you set via software essentially need to be commissioned one at a time. Ideally it's before you get them on the network, but if you leave the default free that gives you a little buffer for accidentally skipping device number 43 out of 72.

hi ken,

profibus address range is 0 - 127.

Address - 126 and 127 are reserved for special functions.

Address 0 - usually reserved for network configuration tool, pg etc.

Address 1 - master

address - 2 to 125 - devices.

This is what my company follows and most other venders i have worked with.

Regards.

+1

Thanks very much for the input ! The Master at Station 1 is the default for SyCON software, so that's consistent with the typical systems you describe.

My takeaway is that 0=PG and 1=Master is typical, but that 0 and 1 are not reserved for those functions.

On this machine, the existing slave device Station addresses start at 1, and they are configured with DIP switches that are underneath a four-bolt access plate, so for the sake of labor and consistency with the old numbering system I am going to leave them as-is.

Thanks !

I seem to remember that all PLC's come with slave address 2 from factory. I don't have a brand new one with me, but that was quite common it seemed. So leaving address 2 empty is probably a good idea just in case.

I seem to remember that all PLC's come with slave address 2 from factory. I don't have a brand new one with me, but that was quite common it seemed. So leaving address 2 empty is probably a good idea just in case.

Maybe that's what it was; I remembered something defaulting to 2. It's been a long time since I've dealt with Profibus...

Maybe that's what it was; I remembered something defaulting to 2. It's been a long time since I've dealt with Profibus...

It hasn't been so long for me... the other thing to remember (which was a very valid concern for me in the past) is that some systems have interPLC communication via Profibus and inevitably one of them was address 2.

With the advent of internet and blind cost cutting, some facilities don't have the capability on site to, at the very least, configure a Profibus address in a CPU, leaving that to the remote link from the manufacturer to sort... except they only have a connection to the live system and therefore the PLC had to be put in with the default address so they could configure it back to operation.

These are probably not that common anymore, but there are still some around for sure.