Starting / Stoping a Siemens CP343-5 card

Borte

Hello everybody!

I'm having a problem with a communication card of the type Siemens CP343-5 (S7 CP for PROFIBUS with FMS protocol, SEND/RECEIVE interface, S7 communication (server), routing, module replacement without PG, product version 6), it's used for Profibus communcation to WinCC. The problem is that everytime we have a powersupply failure (short or long) the communcation stops. And the only way to re establish it is to cycle the stop/start switch on the card it self.

So now I was hoping to be able stop and start the card from the plc (as a workaround to the problem).

I was looking for a sfc/sfb do to this. I was thinking about sfb19 and sfb20 which are start / stop but this only works for a remote partner, then you have sfc46 for CPU stop but this doesn't help either since this only stops the CPU.

Any one have any idea about how to stop and start this card. I can do it from the diagnostic screen so it should be possible from the plc.

Cheers
Borte

Last edited:
One place you could start looking is SFC51. It has a lot of powerful features, and you can do things you wouldn't expect (i.e., like changing the baud rate of a CP card through your program). I haven't tried starting/stopping a card with it, but it's worth a look.

Could you give me an example S7guy? I was looking at the description for the SFC51 but didn't really understand how to use it.

Btw: I don't have a diagnostic address of this card!

UPDATE: Ok I think I understand how the thing works but I don't see how you're able to set anything with it. As far as I understand it's just for reading.

Cheers
Borte

Last edited:
danpantea: I'm not able to have a ups on this card. It does not have external power supply. It's located on the backplate of the plc so it gets the feed directly from the plc.

I'm not running any OB when I'm loosing com's. I can't detect it from the plc I have to go to the WinCC side to see that the com is down.

Cheers
Borte

Borte said:
Could you give me an example S7guy? I was looking at the description for the SFC51 but didn't really understand how to use it.

Btw: I don't have a diagnostic address of this card!

UPDATE: Ok I think I understand how the thing works but I don't see how you're able to set anything with it. As far as I understand it's just for reading.

Cheers
Borte

Hey Borte,

Let me elaborate on the SFC51 idea. It's possible that Siemens intended it to just be for reading, but I remember that I could also change the values once I accessed them. It was a chore to figure out which bits were which at first, but it worked like a charm once I was over that hurdle.

See what data you can grab from the card and you might get lucky and find something useful.

Borte

I think that FC4 DP_CTRL CP300 will achieve what you want.

This FC is available in the communications block library.

I have had a quick read of the help files, click on the 'see also', then 'job types', then item 4 is 'set current DP mode', it seems that with this block you can stop, start a CP.

It might take some figuring out (Siemens FC's usually do), but if you do manage to get it working can you keep us posted?

Paul

Thanks guys I'll see if I can make something work with this.

I'll post if I'm successful.

Cheers
Borte

The problem is not with your PLC but with WinCC. If you type in the Help window of WinnCC "Reset Communication" it will give you a procedure for manual reseting of com for a CP5613. If you become desperate and can't reset it from inside WinCC you can write a macro triggered by a heartbeat.

It doesn't seem to be the WinCC since I'm only having this problem on 1 of 28 plc's connected to the network.

Cheers
Borte

Did you try reseting only your interface On-Off? The reason I say it is in the interface is because you don't run any OB's and your online config does not show any errors. I hope you don't have a corrupt driver, bad cable (connection), etc.

Well everything works fine cable wise, this only happens after a power surge. Then all we have to do is to reinitialize the com by stopping/starting the CP card and we have the excact configuration on other plc's with no problems.

Cheers
Borte

If this problem is only happening on 1 PLC of 28 connected to the network. Perhaps there is a difference in the firmware of the card that causes it to stop when the others don't. Have you tried swapping cards? If the problem remains after the cards are swapped then it sounds like a configuration problem. If the problem moves after the cards are swapped then it is either a card failure or a result of firmware differences.