S5 programming adapter

Karolewsky

Hi all,
Do anyone of You guys use the S5 programmeradapter 798-0CA00-0AX0?
I have no expierience with S5. However I need to update an S5 program from my S5 PLCs into my PG and make some backups. I have Field M3 with a S5 adapter which i can insert in the memory card slot of my Field PG. However I faced some problems. When I insert the module i have no indication on my computer that I inserted a slot and connected an eeprom card to it. I tried to use a S5 eprom software that is already installed, but I got error 900, that seems it can't see any eprom card connected. I have no other chance of updating the program, because of the maintainence works on my plant, there is the power supply off. Also can't find any manuals for the S5 programmeradapter. I have only a small leaflet with info that after a correct card insertion i should see some indication. But I don't see it.
Could anyone help me with some clues and tricks on how to use the adapter correctly?

Greets to all

No I havent used it, despite that I have one in the drawer.

Are you sure it is inserted the right way around ? The proper way is indicated by small bumps on the adapter and on the PG. Thats what the leaftlet says, it does not say that there will be some kind of "indication".

I dont think that inserting the adapter plus an EPROM will be indicated somewhere. Only when reading or writing from/to the EPROM will the PG know if an EPROM is inserted.

I tried to search for "S5 EPROM", "S5 prommer" and the type number on Siemens Support, but found nothing of relevance to your problem.
The thing is, your S5 PLC is long long overdue for a replacement. Siemens has halted all support for everything S5. It is hazard to continue using S5 in a running plant.

Apart from that, you can also do a backup while online. The plant does not have to be shut-down to do that. I suggest you do this if you cant get the S5 EPROM adapter to work.

I presume you need to get the computer to "recognise" the device in order to find it in the Device Manager and then set the S5 port to the correct port?

I found USB S5 leads on ebay for around 25GBP that were excellent and a lot less hassle than using any of the Siemens stuff. Might be worth investing in a different lead to save you all the headache.

I would also echo Jespers point that you really should be looking at upgrading your S5 gear if possible. I know that it is difficult to get this past the management (we still have S5 here but I'm slowly changing them a PLC at a time!).

;-)