GPS Clock Synch - Redlion G3 / A-B SLC PLC

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a question from a customer about a site, where he wants a new control panel, which he wants the PLC to link to their SCADA via Modbus TCP\IP over Ethernet.

We normally use Allen-Bradley SLC PLC & Redlion G3 HMI.

Now I know that the Redlion G3 has Modbus TCP\IP drivers, so that should be OK.

But the customer also wants:
"The automation PLC to be provided with GPS clock for synchronization/time stamping." :eek:

Can you do this with either the Allen-Bradley SLC PLC or Redlion G3 HMI?

And if so how? :unsure:

I hope someone can help.

OK, I have found a reference to GPS in the Time Server section of the Crimson 3 manual.

But it says that it needs to connect via any RS232 port, using appropriate driver, using NMEA-0183.

But looking on the internet, there seems to be different versions of NMEA-0183, which is compatible with the Redlion G3 drivers?

Also which suitable RS232 driver, or is Garmin the only driver available?

Maybe this will shed some light?

Or this?

NMEA is, as all protocols, constantly evolving. GPS is just one of the technologies layered onto it. Standard 183 is where GPS Data was layered on top of the other location/triangulation systems such as LORAN/LORAN-C. The NMEA standard allows for various sentences to be sent periodically by devices, pick the right sentence from your GPS receiver, and have it transmit cyclically (typically once every two seconds).

Garmin (and other manufacturers) are freely allowed to add on proprietary information, commands, and sentences to their devices, as long as they support the base NMEA commands and sentences. The current NMEA standard (3.x) has much more in it then the 183, but mostly to do with new devices and navigation methods.

If your GPS receiver has an RS-232 port, just connect up to it in hyperterminal (4800 bps, 8 data, no parity, 1 stop bit) and play.

OK, I have found a reference to GPS in the Time Server section of the Crimson 3 manual.

But it says that it needs to connect via any RS232 port, using appropriate driver, using NMEA-0183.

But looking on the internet, there seems to be different versions of NMEA-0183, which is compatible with the Redlion G3 drivers?

Also which suitable RS232 driver, or is Garmin the only driver available?

Yes, but that still doesn't answer my question!

I am not using a computer to link to the GPS clock, but hoping to use a Redlion G3 HMI.
o_O

N.B. the current NMEA standard is now 4.0.

Marc_U

The Garmin is the only GPS we support, so you can choose the Garmin driver on your RS232 port. Once you match up the driver with your garmin device you simply need to enable GPS in the Time Manager to get a clock sync via GPS.

Thanks
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

The next problem seems that most Garmin GPS products with a serial port have been discontinued.

I will have to get hunting to see what is available, or look at alternative GPS solution, such as via the PLC.
đź“š

Suggestion to Redlion: it may be a idea to see if the driver could be updated to so that it could use the USB port.

Contact These people:
http://www.gpsw.co.uk/

They no longer sell over the web so you have to fall back to the phone.
Garmin GPS16x HVS should do for what you need. It can use a 24V supply.

Don't ask me why Garmin no longer show the OEM GPS sensors on the web site. I did ask but they didn't seem to understand the question. I don't know if RedLion need you to limit the location data coming out of the sensor to one particular sentence but if they do then visit the Garmin web site and download SNSRCFG (Sensor configuration software). You can set the sensor to give out any sentence at any interval.

Bryan