S7-1200 to SQL

mass89

I'm looking for the most effective way of reading from multiple s7-1200 PLCs and writing to SQL database. I seen the new version PLCs have OPC UA server integrated, would this be a good to use with OPC UA client and ODBC, has anyone used this? What other options are there that are reasonably priced (UAExpert etc)? (I had a look around but the OPC UA is relatively new for these CPUs)

Last edited:
Hello mass89:
I can let you know about the product I am more familiar with.
1) Softing's echocollect-e is a DIN-Rail mount gatway which supports S7 client (i.e. can access S7-1200 and other Siemens PLC) as well as a number of other PLCs. It is also SQL Client so it can access SQL databases. It is also OPCUA server, so it can map the S7-1200 tags into an OPCUA server address space. It is also MQTT publisher, so it can connect easily with different IIoT hubs.
https://data-intelligence.softing.com/us/products/iot-gateways/echocollect-e/#tx-dftabs-tabContent1

2) If you have already a good industrial Windows 10 panel PC or some other PC that is working close to the PLCs, or if you are willing to pay a bit more and have more functions than the echocollec-e, Softing has a product called dataFEED suite, which all the functions I mentioned in the above paragraph and more, because it also supports OPC DA client and server, REST client, Siemens MindSpher (I think it is one of the few products that can send non-Siemens PLC data to MindSphere), can also write data in text files or CSV files, and many more options. If you need the Siemens and the data handler (SQL) I think the runtime license is about EUR 1,000 or less. If you do not have the PC, of course you have to add the cost of the PC. The evaluation version works for 72 hours with full capability. After 72 hours you can restart it and works for 72 hours again.

https://data-intelligence.softing.com/us/products/opc-software-platform/datafeed-opc-suite-extended/

Thanks both, I'd probably tend more towards a software solution to work with the hardware I already have. I had a look about at SQL4Automation but I can't find any info regarding security, do you know what level of security is available?

Thanks both, I'd probably tend more towards a software solution to work with the hardware I already have. I had a look about at SQL4Automation but I can't find any info regarding security, do you know what level of security is available?

I think it would be better if you them contact them directly and ask for information.
They also have a demo version so you can test it by yourself.

Try the PeakHMI. https://hmisys.com I've recently set up a system monitoring 34 Click PLC's over ModBus TCP/IP and so for it works very well. We're running ours on a virtual Windows Server 2012 but any Windows based system will work well. I've also run it virtually on Windows 7 and locally on Windows 10.

To get your data to SQL you need to use ODBC and set it up. There are some training videos on the site and a large (1300+ page), very detailed users manual. I was looking into the ODBC but haven't implemented that yet.

You state you want to log data to an SQL database, do you need the software to do anything else ?. if not Kepware OPC server has the ability to log data directly to a database, the security will be in the SQL Server. a typical communications driver will cost around £600-800.

That is not true they still supply a perpetual license there are others like subscription. I know I purchased one for the Mitsi suite.

I stand corrected on the perpetual license, but you must be getting a great deal in the UK on this software. Cheapest drivers I see in the US on their website is $1,425 US. Looks like everything comes in suites, at least in their online store.

I recently requested licences for three protocols, they sent me back a quote for what they call manufacturing suite which included the ones I wanted as it was cheaper, this was something like £1,920.00 however, As I do not work for the company anymore I do not have the quotation. It remarked this included most drivers but no details on how many were included. In 2014 I purchased a Mitsubishi suite for £560.00.