Simatic Net backup and restore.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,
I have seen a couple of hints to that it should be possible to export a Simatic Net project as an .xdb file (or was it .xml ?).
But I havent been able to locate a real good instruction on how to do it.

My hope is that it can help me to backup an entire project and then let a 3rd party load it into the Station Configuration Editor.

As it is now, when an OPC server has to be installed, it has to be done by going thru all the steps that I have described in the guide in the downloads section. It is too complicated for most of my customers.

Note: I do not mean the archive/restore functionality for the STEP7/NCM project. I mean that the entire setup can be restored in one go.

Have anyone tried this ?
Or do anyone know of a good manual or FAQ about this ?

Hello,

the XDB file is generated automatically with the project.
You find it in the path of the project in the folder XDBs.
In the properties of the PC Station you can change the
path, where the XDB file should be saved.

Rudi

Thanks for the info Rudi.

Does that mean, that if I use import function in the Station Configuration Editor that I dont have to do anything more ?
No need to use the Configuration Console.
No need to download from Netpro.

I will check it out myself when I get the chance.

OPC connection for PC station problem

Hi Jesper,
WOnder if those things you've discussed before works well ? I mean dont need to download the netPro just configured XDB ?. Because I experienced 2 tiems when they lost their backup battery and all went to failure, this OPC Connection was gone also. Since the plant need to be run continuosly, even to take some time to download netpro will cost them some money already.
Thank You for the information.

Hi anie,

yes it does work.
Just import the .xdb file and the OPC connection will come alive.

I have had the best succes with "unconfigured connections". They seem to work with no problems.
"Configured connections" seems to require that you download the hardware configuration (including the configured connection) to the PLC. This is often not possible for he unskilled operator.

Hi JesperMP,

In your post you say
"it has to be done by going thru all the steps that I have described in the guide in the downloads section."

Can I get a copy of your guide?
How do I find the "downloads section"

I have tried to write a guide for my users of a SCADA
(Citect) system using PROFIBUS and multiple S7-400 PLC's
but the Netpro configuration gets very complicated.

Regards........John Gaunt

Hi John.

If you scroll to the top of this very page, just above the "post reply" button, there is a green line with some discrete links, "Profile", "FAQs", "calendar" and (tadaa !) "downloads", and more ...

By the way, the guide I wrote is in the "Siemens" section at "How to setup OPC with Simatic Net". Open the guide with "read only".

(hmmm... I ought to update that guide some time, there are so many things I should add, but when do I have the time ?).

JesperMP said:
but when do I have the time ?

Jesper

You could try spending a little less time browsing this forum!
icon_wink.gif

Paul

PLucas said:
Jesper

You could try spending a little less time browsing this forum!
icon_wink.gif

Paul

What do you mean ?
There are days when I dont visit here at all ! (ok, when I cant get to a PC with Internet).
Do you think I should go on a PLCs.net rehabilitation course ?