AB powerflex 525 drive runs but motor doesn't turn

FriendlySteaK

Hi all, I have a powerflex 525 where there is no voltage coming out to the motor. The drive was reset to factory defaults with stop and saftey jumpers in place for testing purposes. The drive fan comes on and the control panel shows the hz ramp up but there is no voltage at the u v w terminals. No faults displayed
Would anyone know what could be wrong?
Thanks

Hi all, I have a powerflex 525 where there is no voltage coming out to the motor. The drive was reset to factory defaults with stop and saftey jumpers in place for testing purposes. The drive fan comes on and the control panel shows the hz ramp up but there is no voltage at the u v w terminals. No faults displayed
Would anyone know what could be wrong?
Thanks

That's an interesting problem. I will assume that it is set to V/Hz since if it were in vector mode it would give some sort of error. In V/Hz mode the drive puts out the voltage and current according to the programmed ramp but doesn't really measure much for feedback. The only thing I can think of is over-current.

No output at all. Do you have a motor connected?
It should show at least a couple of volts in that case .. but maybe the frequency is low enough that it would fool the meter into switching between AC and DC measurements?

You say the frequency ramps up .. so I guess the motor is not a short.

Never mind - I guess I don't have anything intelligent to say!

The motor is connected and works using another vfd, there is voltage at the dc bus, the controller should fault if voltage is to high/low
Drive in default v/hz control
When pressing start command, Controller displays the hz ramp up and change depending on where the onboard potentiometer is set

you can actually have problems with pf525 if the load is too great on startup, and it will limit your output with a sustained HZ. essentially looking like a bad motor/drive.

you might try looking into parameter A495. I've seen erratic operation from 525 and 4m drives when the load was too much to allow it to run properly, but not restricted enough to cause an overload condition.

That and possibly upping the current limit to see what happens with it (A484-A485)

Last edited:
Hello, were you able to fix this error. I have a 525 with the same problem.

V/hz control, VFD starts, HIM shows output voltage and output frequency, but I have no voltage at UVW.

Without connecting the motor

Double check that your S1 and S2 jumper is correctly terminated. If you clamped onto the insulation it will look like it is installed but there is no connection. That input is a base block, it disables the transistors.

Look at b006, bit 5. If it’s high, the S1/2 circuit is active. If not, it is not continuous.

Last edited:
Hi maybe do you know what part is broken, power board Firing board or IGBT or control board ?

Regards and thank u for the answer