Logix Designer: "New Module" grayed out

MoraleC2

I am unable to add or discover modules in Logix Designer, V28.02, when trying to do so under the PointIO of a 1734-AENT. I can add modules one level above - in this case, on the ethernet network - but I cannot add anything to a rack. This happens on several different projects, two different VMs, and different versions of Logix Designer.

Has anyone else experienced?

Capture.PNG

Are you trying to do it online? I'm pretty sure that you can never add point I/O online.

No, I am not. Even if I add a brand new chassis, it will not let me add anything to it.

Did you change the chassis size of the new chassis before trying to add modules? If not, then it will default to 1 and of course you will be unable to add modules to it.

We can't tell from the graphic you posted how many slots are available. It looks like there are 13 slots defined, but we can't tell how many are already in use. You won't be able to add to the Point I/O chassis if it is full unless you first define additional slots.

Also, when you create a new Point I/O chassis, the size defaults to just 1 slot which would prevent you from adding anything as well.

The Discover feature only ever works online. When offline we have to manually add each module. I can't think of any other reason it would not allow you to add Point I/O modules. Unless maybe those module profiles aren't installed. Just a WAG there though.

OG

EDIT: plvlce got his comment in as I was typing mine. Faster typist I guess :)

Last edited:
EDIT: plvlce got his comment in as I was typing mine. Faster typist I guess :)

Considering the difference in post times…

As OG stated, you cannot discover while offline.

If you are attempting to install new modules, you must increase the chassis size before you can add anything to the configuration.* If you created a new chassis but did not increase its size, the fact you have the same issue with that new chassis is further support for the theory this is the cause.

*unless the chassis was already oversized for the physically installed modules.

Considering the difference in post times…

Lol...I started my reply before your comment posted. But I got distracted with work and then launched a VM to verify my thoughts before I posted. By that time, you had already replied. I didn't realize that much time had passed though.

OG