3phase 400V motor in 2phase 230v supply

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone i know this can be done using a capacitor in paralel.

My question is if there is any limit in the power of the motor to do this.

The motor in question is 10HP, aprox 7,5KW so i would have to put a capacitor of 70x7,5=525mf

Will this work or there might be a problem because the power of the motor is a bit High?

I know i will lose torque and real power, but besides that there will be any problem ??

Thanks !!

A 400v motor can either have 400V/690V windings or 230V/400V windings. Make sure you get the 230V/400V version. In 7.5kW, 400/690 is the more common as it is needed for 400V star delta starters.

7.5kW motor might have .9 efficiency, .8 power factor, 10* startup current. Check the manual for actual values.
So startup A = 10 * 7500/230 /.9 / .8 = 450A , single phase.
That's huge.

A single phase in, 3 phase out variable speed drive is probably the best fit for this, but they are hard to find. You should be able to get a 3 phase in 3 phase out drive a few sizes up, so that you don't burn out the input power section. Make sure you talk it over with the VSD manufacturer first.

But the right solution would be getting your electricity supplier to give you three phase power.

You may well be able to do what you want with CapÂ’s but I donÂ’t know of anybody that would do it.
First letÂ’s clarify something, you say 2 phase but I really think you mean single phase. 120 / 240 vac
There are very few of us still around that has ever seen or worked on a 2 phase power system
When I see somebody used the statement “2 phase” I always have to stop and think about it. It is just ot used anymore. It may seem the same to you, but when dealing with power systems there is big difference single phase has 2 hot wires a natural + ground 2 phase has 4 hot wires, 1 natural + ground
On single phase the 2 hot leads are 180 De out of phase on a 2 phase the hot leads are 90 De out of phase.

You could use a roto-phase converter either buy one or build one
Or use a single phase input vfd ( your best option)
Their ar some transformer combinations that will get it for you but you will have to do some research on that. As for what caps to use you will have to some experimentation to figure out the correct on
Starting and load may be different.

You might want to check out a Static Phase Converter. There's some HP derate, but they are relatively simple and cheap compared to some other solutions.

That's basically what you are trying to re-invent...