480/3phase power - conversion

Neilgrimsley

Lifetime Supporting Member
i am building a couple of panels in my workshop and wish to do at least a simple checkout of them before installation. My workshop only has 240 vac/1 phase power and i need 480/3 phase for the checkout of the panels.
Does anyone have a simple .. inexpensive way to convert what I have available. I don't need to run the motors, controlled by the panel .... only to power the panel and the VFD/Power supply, etc.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated .... Thanks

i am building a couple of panels in my workshop and wish to do at least a simple checkout of them before installation. My workshop only has 240 vac/1 phase power and i need 480/3 phase for the checkout of the panels.
Does anyone have a simple .. inexpensive way to convert what I have available. I don't need to run the motors, controlled by the panel .... only to power the panel and the VFD/Power supply, etc.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated .... Thanks
Not sure if they still do but...MSC used to sell a "phase converter".
Single phase in and you get 3 phase out.
Now, if you supply single phase 240V you will get 3 phase 240V.
You may need a xformer to do the entire conversion from 240 to 480. Given the fact that you won't run any motors and such, the KVA will be kept to a minimum so the size of the xformer which means won't cost an arm an a leg.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you do not have to have 480v, and only wanting to check the controls, why not disconnect the secondary of the transformer and run a simple 110v from an extension cord to your start stop station? I have done that many times.

Do the VFDs require 480V to power up (no separate control power)? If I remember correctly, some will at least power up with only single phase applied. Which 2 legs? You'll have to figure that out. If you can get by with single phase, then just use a 480/240 transformer wired as a step-up.

Our first shop only had 240V three-phase. Yes, 240 not 208. The old 'red leg' service. I used a pair of buck transformer to get 208V for any machine we built. When the customer wanted a 480V machine, I would just build it for 208V and add a transformer as it went out the door.

Thankfully, that didn't last long. A friend rented some shop space from us to run his CNC. It needed 480V, but already had a transformer installed to operate on lower voltages. Anytime I needed 480V, I would just tap off his machine... ;)

In our current shop we have 200A of 480V, so this is no longer an issue... :)

🍻

-Eric

Use a VFD from one phase to go to three phase
then use a transformer to make the voltage you need.

another way is to use a standard one phase motor and a generator

Another way is ask the neighbour, or take the panel to the shop (where you buy your stuff they sure have it.

and you can rent a generator for a day (if you go with your panel to the rent shop they will probably give you it cheap.