Add on Instructions

Nan

Hi Everyone,

I am working on project that the customer require no ADI.

The standard project we have uses ADI everywhere.

I am just wondering if there is a quicker way or effective way to get rid of ADI?

Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

Question, how can I turn off the screen saver on my PanelMate 1550KHX PM 1500?
My problem is it keeps locking up when the screen saver comes on. My thought is to turn the screen saver off for now until my spare gets back, then swap them out.
Cheers
Larryw

Hi Everyone,

Question, how can I turn off the screen saver on my PanelMate 1550KHX PM 1500?
My problem is it keeps locking up when the screen saver comes on. My thought is to turn the screen saver off for now until my spare gets back, then swap them out.
Cheers
Larryw

You need to start a new thread.

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if there is a quicker way or effective way to get rid of ADI?

Thank you!

One way might be to quote them the adder for your time to unwrap, test and debug all the AOIs. If they see a large price tag for the change they may be more willing to accept your tried and true program.

Also, you might offer a better warranty with your original program vs. the altered one.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Your customer needs education on the benefits of using AOI's.

Let's say your AOI is the standard code for an auto-valve. You have it already tried and tested, so the cost to your customer is very low.

Replace it with 21 rungs per valve, for 219 valves, and the coding and testing costs go through the roof !!

Maintenance costs are reduced too. If one valve keeps going into alarm, it's not going to be a software problem, leave the programming terminal in the cupboard, and get tools on the one valve that has a problem.

Last edited:

I would say no. But you have workable options. I would take the tags within the AOIs you already have and copy/paste to Excel or Notepad. Then create a UDT with these names. Pasting into a UDT is pretty much useless, so you may find it easier just to type them in one by one. Then instead of creating an AOI instance, create a tag referencing the UDT. Copy the code in the AOIs you have and paste into a routine. Replace the the AOI basetag name with the UDT tag reference. Find/Replace will be your new friend. But, this doesn't work while online. A trick though, select all of the rungs then paste into a notepad editor. Do your search and replace there. Then copy and paste back into Studio 5000. Make sure you use neutral text, not ASCII text. There is a limit on how much you can copy and paste at once.

Not using AOIs though, pretty much stupid. Sounds like someone screwed something up and they have a bad taste in their mouth.

I saw a program from a company from belgium where a subroutine was called more than 25 times, they did that instead of an AOI. They used in and out parameters different every time they call the subroutine.

I saw a program from a company from belgium where a subroutine was called more than 25 times, they did that instead of an AOI. They used in and out parameters different every time they call the subroutine.

The issue with that is troubleshooting is a pain as you don't easily know what instance you are looking at.

I've seen that before too, on a program with all comments lost. What a nightmare to follow. I think the original programmers only did it so they could edit the subroutine online.

I've seen that before too, on a program with all comments lost. What a nightmare to follow. I think the original programmers only did it so they could edit the subroutine online.

And that is precisely the reason to ensure, and MAKE SURE, the AOI code is bomb-proof, faultless, and passes every test of its functional specification.

Then, and only then, should it be deployed on a live process, especially if that process cannot be stopped without a 3-month round of talks, negotiations, and planning.

You cannot change any of the built-in instructions, and making an AOI is like adding to them, so it is right and proper that you cannot edit AOIs online.

The only reason for changing an AOI after deployment is that someone goofed along the way... Either in the Planning, the Specification, the Coding, or, more importantly, in the Testing.

When such a situation arises, I'm always tempted to utter either of the "Five P's" sayings....

"Proper Preparation Prevents P***-Poor Performance"
"Poor Preparation Produces *ditto* "