SLC500 5/05 To SLC500 5/04

Hi guys i have a SLC500 with a 5/05 Processor running on the far end of the shop works great, I can access it in my office. I also Have a SLC500 5/04 with a Panelview900 DH+ working great on other side of shop. Is There a way to get my panelview900 to communicate with my 5/05? I Would really like to Put Panelview900 in the Panel with the 5/05 But dont know if there is a way to connect DH+ to the 5/05.. would a 1747-SN scanner work for me in the 5/05 rack?

I communicate to 5/05 threw Internet is there a way to hookup the serial port on 5/05 to panelview serial port and be able to program the panelview

It is easy with the RS232 port. Just copy the channel settings from the 5/04 and change the 5/05 to match.

But, the DH+ comm's on the PV are different.

Search eBay for a RS232 to DH+ adapter (I just couldn't find one right now)

Another thing used for PLC5's mostly, but should work here, is put a ENET card and DHRIO card in a ControlLogix rack with no CPU. The 2 cards will automatically talk to each other and create a 2-way Ethernet to DH+ bridge.

If you want to use the PV as is, without reprogramming it, you will have to change, or copy, the values to the tags the PV is looking at and writing to.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, Ill look on ebay bay now that seems easiest if i read your message correctly..

so i would hook up rs232 to 5/05 the DH+ to panelview? That would be great

I_Automation said:
It is easy with the RS232 port. Just copy the channel settings from the 5/04 and change the 5/05 to match.

SamTheLightMaster said:
so i would hook up rs232 to 5/05 the DH+ to panelview? That would be great

I think this is not possible, if your PV is DH+ you need to convert it to Ethernet or RS232 as most DH+ are only DH+ what is the part number of your PV?

We sell a couple of things that may work but I would need more info.

Convert your DH+ to Ethernet with a Gateway we sell them here https://www.plccable.com/ethernet-i...ighway-plus-dh-gateway-converter-ethernet-ip/

If you are just converting the CPU (5/04) then you can use a ENI and we also sell a aftermarket one that would work https://www.plccable.com/allen-brad...s-d-aftermarket-replacement-ethernet-for-df1/

My Panelview 900 part# is 2711-T9C8 it has a 1 DH+ Port and 1 RS232 printer port and i tried connecting to 5/05 serial port with a 1747-CP3 cable but cant seem to get that to work either..

Those DH+ to Ip Converter looks pricey but might be my only choice, was hopping to use parts I had on shelf..

AB sure makes it rough... lol

So is it possible to run serial cable from 5/04 rs232 to the 5/05 rs232 port and be able to communicate and see everything in RSLinx? Panelview as well?

Im now looking at the ENI to 5/04 and thats looking even better...

My Panelview 900 part# is 2711-T9C8 it has a 1 DH+ Port and 1 RS232 printer port and i tried connecting to 5/05 serial port with a 1747-CP3 cable but cant seem to get that to work either..

I have never tried it but I think the printer port is only for a printer (ASCII out) and will not do comms

SamTheLightMaster said:
So is it possible to run serial cable from 5/04 rs232 to the 5/05 rs232 port and be able to communicate and see everything in RSLinx? Panelview as well?

No, not that I know of...

Im now looking at the ENI to 5/04 and thats looking even better...

Do you need direct connection with your PV? I dont know if you can use the PLC as a passthru but odds are you only need the PLC and not the PV so the ENI is a great option

The Gateways are best option if you are moving several nodes from DH+ to Ethernet, example I just installed one that had 3 PLCs 2 HMIs and the gateway moved the DH+ network to Ethernet and that worked great... if you are needing a single node then the ENIs are great.

Im now looking at the ENI to 5/04 and thats looking even better.

A NET-ENI on the 5/04 to the 5/05 Ethernet would communicate, but you would have to set up messaging between them.

Then when the 5/04 receives the messages you could have it set bits or move values to where the PV would read them, otherwise program the PV to read the message received values in directly from 5/04.

If this is just for monitoring, a one-way message would work. If you want the PV to adjust any settings, enables or anything else on the 5/05 then there would have to be messages back to the 5/05 - and good practice to have a way to know if the message was received and acted upon.

yea i think the eni is best option, lots of good info here, i forgot that there is 1 5/04 Plc hooked up to eni serial port. which i can see in rslinx Ethernet.

And theres a laptop hooked to serial port on the 5/04 slc500 and a panelview600 hooked up via DH+, i can program both from same laptop...
i can change ladder in plc and use panelbuilder32 to program pv600 and can see everything in rslinx had to use different driver thou i beileave k2, im in middle of machine breakdowns now but if i get some time i will see if i can connect the eni to the 5/04 and see everything.. if so then ill get a new eni problem solved... ill update as i make some progress

sad thing is i bought 2 nicely used Panelview Plus 700 2711P-T7C4D8 but found that i dont have the software to program them, so im going to have to sell them now, i have alot of software but that i dont have...

If I can sell them i can buy the other parts i need :)

sad thing is i bought 2 nicely used Panelview Plus 700 2711P-T7C4D8 but found that i dont have the software to program them, so im going to have to sell them now, i have alot of software but that i dont have...

If I can sell them i can buy the other parts i need :)

If you bought them at a good price you should be able to make a few bucks

Selling is the easy part... buying at a good price is the hard part :)

Yea now I'm looking up another Panelview 2711-T9C16 has a Rs232 port im gonna see if it will plug directly into 5/05 if so then ill try and sell all 3, I think the 2 panelview plus 700 I could get maybe 1000 for both there i pretty good condition, if I sell all 3 for 1300. We sè what happens later. If the 2711-T9C16 will plug into 5/05 id be happy

OK i tried to connect the Panelview 900 DH+ to the other 5/04 and it works, but i can NOT see it in rslinx threw the eni that is hooked to the 5/04, i'm sure its a driver issue, because i can see it when i connect laptop to serial port but not threw the eni... so i will have to sell them all and buy a Panelview 2711-T10C20 Then all my problems are solved. Then I can access all my processors from T10C20 and Make changes as needed...

Thanks For Everyone's Help... I learned a lot last couple of days... I will take pictures of the 2 Panelview Plus 700, and The Panelview 900 and Post them later this evening, here first if anyone is interested in making offers...
Thanks for your time

but i can NOT see it in rslinx threw the eni that is hooked to the 5/04,

Where are you connecting RSLinx to the ENI?

If you are using either the Ethernet or EthernetIP driver then it should see the ENI and the 5/04 through it, but the ENI will mot show you the 5/05 on the network - it only messages to it.

You would have to have the driver look for the 5/05 directly.

If you are trying to connect DH+ to the ENI on the 5/04 side then it will not let you see the 5/05 at all through it.