Pick By Light cheapest way todo this

userxyz

Hi,

We are looking for a standard to translate XML's files (shared folder) that comes from ERP to control Pick By Lights. At this moment we have a beckhoff PLC that control the Pick By Lights with a custom made VB application that processes the XML files.

We are looking for a system without the need of a PC. I proposed a Siemens 1200 PLC with a comfort panel to translate the XML's to the PLC, but a collegue didn't agree. He is talking about Arduino...

Personally I don't think Arduino should be used in professional environement.
However, if this works...
I've red that Arduino and parsing XML's file's is tricky...

Are there PLC's that can parse XML's ? That would be the best solution..

Kind regards,
Combo

Hi,

We are looking for a standard to translate XML's files (shared folder) that comes from ERP to control Pick By Lights. At this moment we have a beckhoff PLC that control the Pick By Lights with a custom made VB application that processes the XML files.

We are looking for a system without the need of a PC. I proposed a Siemens 1200 PLC with a comfort panel to translate the XML's to the PLC, but a collegue didn't agree. He is talking about Arduino...

Personally I don't think Arduino should be used in professional environement.
However, if this works...
I've red that Arduino and parsing XML's file's is tricky...

Are there PLC's that can parse XML's ? That would be the best solution..

Kind regards,
Combo

I think parsing XML is a non-trivial problem no matter what platform you are using.

In theory, any PLC that has some basic string functions to parse the giant text string that is an XML file should be able to do it.

In practice, I'm not aware of any XML parsing libraries or instructions, you'd probably need to start from scratch. This is hypothetically possible in LAD, but almost certainly needs to be done in Structured Text. Also, good luck reading data from a shared drive in a PLC.

If it were me, I'd try to get a PC somewhere (ie the ERP system) to parse it and send to PLC via OPC. Maybe an HMI could do it, maybe a dedicated gateway like the hilscher nettap, anybus, etc could do it.

Last edited: