Panelview Plus Wake from Sleep

Gadelric

Wizards,

I have a couple HMIs that were mounted on one side of a machine, but most of the work is done on the other side. I have installed RPIs to vnc the HMI over to the operator so they can see what the system is angry about.
However, someone has to go over to the HMI and touch it to wake it up every 30 min.
I have, for today, turned off the sleep timer as the runner that wakes up the screen is out today.
The HMI only goes up to a sleep timer of 30 min.
Is there a way that I can use the PLC to wake up the HMI?
Only 1 of the screens are accessible from production, all other screens are limited to access levels, so changing the screens every so often to try to keep it awake isn't a valid option on this station.

Any other work arounds?

Gad

I looked into this closely a few years ago and never found a way to use a PLC event to keep the screen-saver from engaging on PV+. My workaround was to remotely control the screen brightness.

I considered DIY'ing a "Mouse Jiggler" with an Arduino-class board and a relay, to just send a keyboard "escape" keystroke when the PLC set a discrete output.

Most recent panelviews have an option to disable the screensaver. It's in the same menu where you set the screensaver delay time.

Does yours not have that option?

I have disabled the screen saver for today.
I worry about burning out the screen, but that may not be an issue with screens anymore. I have an image of "no signal" burnt into my brain from leaving my gaming tv on as a kid.... yeah I'm old...

If there is not concerns with image burn, ill just leave the screen saver turned off.

I was hoping there was a way to set the time out to something around 2-3 hours, but it is what it is.

Gad

@ken

Did adjusting the brightness remotely prevent the HMI from going to sleep, or did you just disable the screensaver and set the brightness to 0% after x amount of standby time, and then to 100% when the operator "swipes"?

It would be easy enough to use the operator cycle start to reset the counter.

Gad

I disabled the screen saver and used my display and brightness control to supplant its function. Yes, I screwed up a couple times and made it completely dark and had to wipe the program to recover.

I used the Remote Display navigation feature to bring up a full-size display with the customer logo in muted colors, with nothing but a full-screen "Go To Main Screen" button over the top. When that screen was in place, I commanded the backlight to 30%, then commanded it back to 100% when that screen closed.

Remote navigation / global connections are just one FTView ME feature that could use improvement, ideally with a cyclic data connection.

@Ken

Thank you for the advice.
I have a plc and hmi I use as a dock timer, bit over kill but it was salvaged stuff I had from a machine that was discontinued. I will play around with it tomorrow to see what I can make it do before I make the production HMI angry.

Gad

Have a PVP7 Performance. For the life of me, I can't even figure out how to get the thing to go to sleep. In the terminal settings, I have the screen saver enabled (5 min) and set to 0% intensity with screen saver image disabled.

What am I setting up wrong?

*I also can't find the calibration option

Last edited:
Why disable the image? From default, the only thing we change is setting the intensity to 50%, it works every time.

The easiest way to get to the calibration is to press the non-labeled reset button on the back of terminal (it will be on the surface facing you if I remember correctly, not on the edge). It will then reboot to the maintenance menu where you can get to the calibration.

Why disable the image? From default, the only thing we change is setting the intensity to 50%, it works every time.menu where you can get to the calibration.

Does the PVP7 Performance not actually black-screen on sleep? Mine just dims. A PVP1000 black-screens with the exact same screen saver settings.