You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Michael_from_Tampa
United States

Old Tisoft 2.01 files

I am trying to print some old Texas Instruments Tisoft files, created in Tisoft 2 for DOS, series 405, release 2.01, but that version of Tisoft could not print. Does anybody know if there is a way to convert those files to FasTrak WorkShop 505? (Note that these are not *.vp5 files. These are *.vpu files.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #2
Ken Moore
United States

I have a copy of Tisoft version 5, it has a conversion tool that runs outside the programming software, I've used it to convert version 4 files with success. If you can post you files, I will attempt to convert to version 5 for you.

Old August 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #3
CharlesM
United States

If its a TI 405 PLC then you may be able to use Automation Direct's Directsoft. You could upload the program but it would not have any comments or nick names. Still might be an option.
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #4
Ken M
Scotland

Are you sure that version of Tisoft had no print capability?
I've not got it here, and it must be well over 10 years (maybe 15) since I ever used it, but I find it hard to believe it's missing something that was in all the other Tisofts (305 and 500/505) around that time.

From memory, PRINT was an offline function only, and was probably not displayed on the main function key menu at start-up. You'd have had to use the space-bar (any time you see a '+' shown at the right-hand end of the F-key prompts, it means there are more options to be seen - press spacebar to toggle the display.)

There never was a later version of 405-series Tisoft. Upgrading to a V4 or V5 as my namesake Ken suggested wouldn't be an option. That would only have been valid for 500/505-series Tisoft. (Wow, stop press, major headline: there's a crack in Ken Moore's TI knowledge!)

Regards

Ken
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #5
Ken Moore
United States

You've found my weakness!

I've mostly worked with the larger 500/505 series, never the 405 and assumed it could be converted to a later revision like the larger platform, my mistake.

Old August 10th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #6
icky812
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

DirectSoft should be able to read these files.
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Ken M
Scotland

I've just realised. I somehow assumed Michael_from_Tampa already had the 405 Tisoft V2.01 software, but all he actually says is that it was used to create his files. He also wants to convert them to WorkShop 505, but I've no idea if he has that either (although that assumption may be slightly better founded).

If he doesn't have the 405 Tisoft to start with, then the issue of whether it could print or not is irrelevant. CharlesM is absolutely correct about CPU compatibility. However do I detect a note of caution, Icky, when you say it "should be able ..."? I can't see anything in the DirectSoft link which refers to file compatibility from previous vendors. It seems to emphasise the CPU compatibility for online purposes. Or do you know that it definitely can import these old Tisoft files? I just curious now (and taking nothing for granted!).

Regards

Ken
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #8
icky812
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

DirectSoft has a TiSoft import utility. There is no reason that I know of that would prevent the import, but I tend to say "should" because I really do not know whether the files are valid files that are not corrupted.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #9
Ken M
Scotland

Quite right, Icky. Point understood - there's no guarantees in forums like this. I'm sure Michael will tell us how he gets on and which method he adopts in the end.

Thanks for the update

Ken
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #10
Michael_from_Tampa
United States

Dead in the water

My most sincere thanks to all of you for your response, but particularly to you Ken.

I guess the least I can do is be sincere and admit it: The space bar worked very well. (What a shame!)

Again, best wishes to all of you. I'll try to save face by helping somebody.
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #11
Ken M
Scotland

Just wait till I'm dead and gone, and someone else asks this question. You'll be the one with the answer then!
Thanks for the feedback - at least I wasn't imagining things.

Regards

Ken
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum