Siemens S5 Help on Software!

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
What software for a project on a cheap budget?!?

I can get hold of STEP 5 V7.1 with Auth Disks for around £150.
Part Number 6ES5894-0MA04-0UD3

Is the step 5 stuff still available ? Is that a good price ?

Is V7.1 ok ?

Is that my best option ?

I just have a project to fit a new RedLion G3 to an S5 115U 943 processor as the old HMI is damaged and could fail any time soon! So want the software for troubleshooting and online monitoring.

Will it work on XP/Win2K/Win98 ??!?

I did quote for the whole PLC/HMI but the customer has had there purse strings cut so wants an option for the new HMI only talking to the old S5 thats at present a 941 with RAM but is going to be changed for a 943 with Eprom (ill leave that question for another post).

Obviously ill need an S5 cable as well ?

Any help appreciated !

Ok

After a lot of searching i have found the disks i thought i had lost! Step 5v7.2, just installed it and its now working.......

Question:

How to transfer a program from a 941 S115U plc to the Step 5 software and save to disk.

In the software it looks like

Projects > Objects > Transfer - PLC to File

I have no PLC at work so the PLC part is Greyed out and not selectable, is this correct ?

Also there is another box

Selection - with options Block List, Block or Entire File

presumably i want Entire File ?

Hi bloke.

As noone answered you yesterday.
£150 is a phenomonal price. I think the list price is around £1500-2000. Be sure to get not just the license floppy but also the license certificate !
You will need a RS232/TTY cable. The one from Siemens is called 6ES5734-1BD20. There are 3rd party suppliers with USB/TTY versions.

You will also need a PROMMER for the new EPROM.

About how to perform an upload is going to be tricky, it was 10 years ago when I worked with it the last time (imagine vision going wawy - then the pictures comes back and I have hair again).

Somehow you have to go into the project settings. It is important that you define a project first - which means select a filename and where to store things (drive and directory). There is also a picture in the project menu where the online connection is specified. If the online cable is connected and you enter that picture, STEP5 tests for the pressence of a CPU, and you can from then on do various online stuff.
Yes, you should be able to a complete backup from the PLC to a file like you suggest.
There is an alternative way, where you go into "blocks" and tell STEP5 to perform actions.
You must specify the source (german "AG", english "PLC" maybe ?), the target ("FD" for file on floppy I think), and what to transfer ("A" for all).

Thanks Jesper that gives me something to go on.

I have just ordered a proprietory S5 TTY cable.

I have no Prommer :( as yet

I will take a few screen shots when i can get something to grab the Step5 screen as the two apps i have dont seem to do it as im in XP running the Step 5 Dos looking software. :(

So i have to define a Project first before i do an Upload ?

Dont suppose you know where on siemens site i can find the Step5 v7.22 manual ?

I have been looking for ages now and have only found the 6.6 manual and the software seems a little different !

504bloke said:
Selection - with options Block List, Block or Entire File

presumably i want Entire File ?

Dave

Stick an 'A' in the Block list selection, this is for All blocks in the PLC, including the OB's shipped with the PLC.

transfer.JPG

Paul

PLucas said:
Dave

Stick an 'A' in the Block list selection, this is for All blocks in the PLC, including the OB's shipped with the PLC.

transfer.JPG

Paul

Thanks Paul

Whats Entire file for then ?

And presumably as your PLC is greyed out (like mine) thats because its not connected to an S5 ?

How did you screen shot it ?

504bloke said:
Whats Entire file for then ?

Good question, well presented, but I don't know the answer without reading the manuals. I have never used it.

504bloke said:
presumably as your PLC is greyed out (like mine) thats because its not connected to an S5 ?

That is correct, not only connected to a PLC but online as well.

504bloke said:
How did you screen shot it ?

Press Ctrl and PrtSc together, this copies the active window, not the whole screen. Start Paint and press Ctrl V to paste.

Paul

P.S I will be PMing you shortly with news on you earlier PM to me

Thanks Paul

Another Question!

Do you not have to specify what PLC you will be using somewhere when you create a Project ?

Dave

I don't think that you do, I believe the software detects what PLC is connected when you go online. That is why the 'PLC type' is greyed out in the project settings window.

setting.JPG

In the previous post I told you to use Ctrl and PrtSc, I was wrong, it's Alt and PrtSc to copy the active window

Paul