You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 19th, 2019, 07:49 PM   #1
h_vemulapalli@crownp
United States

Analog proportional regulator

hello,

I am trying to connect the analog proportional regulator from Festo (VPPM-6L-L-1-G18-0L6H-A4P-S1) to automation direct analog output module F2-4DA2AD which is a current sinking module.

festo didn't specify if the input signal supposed to a sink or source signal. i have attached both the output module and valve wiring diagram.

can some one help me with this ?

appreciate the help!
Attached Images
File Type: png output_module.PNG (76.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png valve.PNG (18.9 KB, 19 views)
Old June 20th, 2019, 03:29 AM   #2
parky
United Kingdom

I'm not too familiar with the Automation direct PLC but if I was going to connect then the bottom leg (+) would go to the + of the 4-20 signal of the valve and the -v would go to the card output (top leg). Do not ground either leg only the screen of the cable, if you look at the analogue input it is configured the same way but is marked up as + bottom leg, providing the potential is correct way round then it should work ok, I have seen many people wire sensors of many types in the wrong way round and as far as I can remember this has never caused any damage.
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:11 AM   #3
danw
United States

The Festo analog input just wants to see a current signal. It doesn't know whether the current is provided from an active (sourcing) or a passive (sinking) analog output.

But the Automation Direct Analog Output is a passive/sinking analog output that requires a DC power supply (p/s, typically 24Vdc) to provide power to the output loop.

DC p/s (+) wires to Festo (+) Terminal 4

Festo (-) terminal 3 wires to the A-D OUT1+ or the A-D OUT2+ terminal, depending on which analog output is to be used.

DC p/s (-) wires to A-D 0VDC terminal (at the top)

The Festo's DC power supply has to be at the same ground potential as the A-D because the A-D module is single ended/common grounded.
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:17 AM   #4
parky
United Kingdom

danw is right, I now realise that the supply is external and not sourced from the card so is passive
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #5
kamenges
United States

Before wiring the system as stated i would check to make sure pin 3 and pin 7 on the Festo are not common to each other. I'm not fully convinced that the input is isolated. At least the Festo document I looked at doesn't directly state that it is.

Keith
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #6
h_vemulapalli@crownp
United States

thanks everyone who responded. appreciate it.

I wired exactly as danw mentioned, i did not check the current output from the module but valve did not respond and i can see there is 25 % of full scale in the PLC program.

I was using a voltage (0-10V) proportional controller before with the converter in the middle which is working, i used this to test the loop current flow.

operating manual says that it is a differential input set point to the valve, correct me if i am wrong but in this case we need to connect - Ve of the setpoint which is 3 to the 0V of the DC p/s right ?

I will check that kamenges, probably it is.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #7
kamenges
United States

The differential input thing would apply more to voltage than to current. But if they maintained the design philosophy between the voltage and current input models then the current input should be isolated. This would mean that 3 IS NOT internally connected to 7 and that danw's connection description is correct.

Do you have an independent way to determine if the correct current is being delivered from the output module, like a meter?

Keith
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum