You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 29th, 2018, 09:22 AM   #1
QMS_MAN
United Kingdom

Automation Direct Productivity 1000/ 2000 PLC

I am looking at using this range instead of AB compact logix.

I have had a look at the software manuals and cannot find anything that indicates if this range supports some form of AOI / UDT similar to Logix 5000.

Has anybody used these controllers utilizing said functionality.

Thanks in advance.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 4 WEEKS, SURELY ITS JUST COPY PASTE.
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:41 AM   #2
gclshortt
Canada

I am just starting to use the Productivity 1000 Series PLC.
The units do not have UDT similar to the Logix 5000. Here is a thread with the same question. The Do-More series has this feature.
https://forum.automationdirect.com/f...3000-structure

AOI (Add On Instruction) - In the productivity suite software, groups of rungs can be placed in a task. This task can be password protected.

Here are the general features of the software.
https://www.automationdirect.com/pro...tware/features

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:54 AM   #3
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMS_MAN View Post
I am looking at using this range instead of AB compact logix.

I have had a look at the software manuals and cannot find anything that indicates if this range supports some form of AOI / UDT similar to Logix 5000.

Has anybody used these controllers utilizing said functionality.

Thanks in advance.
Nope, but they claim it is in the works.

They're really pretty good little machines and the software is not bad for the price (free). They're have tons of memory and are really fast too. But... I am not convinced that they are as rugged as the other offerings. I have a few of them out in the field and have only had a couple of issues, mostly minor. I did have one failure of a serial port that was probably due to lightning. It is connected to RS485 and about 600' of cable buried in the ground so I added a signal isolator.

I am not sure I will put any more out there, but when the customer is on a budget and it is useful to put the free software on their machine for remote access purposes you can save a ton of money.

Things I love about them:
-Lots of comms ports, lots of power, easy to set up and communicate with. Modbus read and write instructions are superior to A/B stuff. You can talk to about anything with the PxK series.
-Analog modules with built in readouts that can show milliamps for all the channels.
-price...unbeatable bargain.
-bright OLED display right on the processor
-instruction set is somewhat simple but quite powerful. Debounce coils are particularly useful along with rising and falling edge "contact" instructions.
-firmware. the CPUs come ready to run out of the box, and firmware upgrades are easy to perform. The software will even reload the program into the CPU after you update firmware and all of it goes very quickly compared to A/B

Things I don't love:
-Bit numbers start at 1. I don't know why they did this but I actually hate this. Bits always always always start with 0. There is no good excuse for this horrible ugly flaw in my opinion.
-Window arrangement. It ain't RSLogix...You can only edit address descriptions from the tag database and it is in your way when it is opened. The help file is similar.
-Too many tag options. It ain't like A/B where everything is retentive and you can look at tag values online or offline. You get to choose which tags are retentive. You also have initial values, force values, initial force tickboxes...I still don't know for sure what all these extra features are good for, and not sure I understand what will happen if the battery is dead and I cycle power and I have written several complete programs. I had some tag value weirdness happen once, so I replaced some tags with constants to solve the problem.

I don't think they are as capable as Compactlogix. They only do ladder logic and don't support some of the more advanced abstractions or programming techniques, but depending on your situation, they might be more than capable for you.

Last edited by OkiePC; January 29th, 2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old January 29th, 2018, 01:39 PM   #4
jaden
United States

You will find Automation Direct tech support to be excellent!
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:56 PM   #5
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaden View Post
You will find Automation Direct tech support to be excellent!
That is a good point I forgot to include. They are quick to fix bugs and even quite responsive to suggestions.
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Bullzi
United States

I have done 1 project with the P2000 and a GS drive. I was a little worried about the ruggedness of the PLC because it is a little "Cheaper" feeling in its construction than a CompactLogix. I am happy to report that I have no failures at all and the project is over a year old.

I will share some of Okie's dislikes. The bit number thing didn't bother me too much but the tag choices are very confusing!! It caused me a lot of problems especially with HMI entered values. I will add 1 dislike to the list: If you use Ethernet and connect a GS drive or anything else that uses the remote IO protocol you have to connect the Ethernet cable to the back port only. So if you may need more than 1 network switch depending on how you have the network set up. 1 for the remote IO and 1 for the HMI or programming port. That seems unnecessary to me but it is the way it is now.

Overall not a bad PLC. A CompactLogix Killer? Maybe not but if you like tag based programming and a modular design this is a good PLC.
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:09 AM   #7
Elcan
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzi View Post
A CompactLogix Killer?
If they add UDTs and Add-Ons, I will replace many CompactLogix in my projects. Probably not all them because, you know, some customers think that nothing other than Allen Bradley (or Siemens) is good enough for their applications.
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:28 PM   #8
kwade
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcan View Post
If they add UDTs and Add-Ons, I will replace many CompactLogix in my projects. Probably not all them because, you know, some customers think that nothing other than Allen Bradley (or Siemens) is good enough for their applications.
LOCAL variables would be nice, too.
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:51 AM   #9
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

I've heard nothing but good on this forum about them but like Hens teeth in the UK, I've seen maybe 2 in 15 years.

Be prepared for some 'What the f**k is that?' questions.

I'd be checking tech support and spares, lead times. It maybe not as good here as in the US.
Old January 31st, 2018, 07:41 AM   #10
icky812
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_10 View Post
I've heard nothing but good on this forum about them but like Hens teeth in the UK, I've seen maybe 2 in 15 years.

Be prepared for some 'What the f**k is that?' questions.

I'd be checking tech support and spares, lead times. It maybe not as good here as in the US.
AutomationDirect has a very good reseller in the UK, Lamonde Automation Ltd. in Surrey.
Old February 1st, 2018, 02:01 PM   #11
AlThePal
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by icky812 View Post
AutomationDirect has a very good reseller in the UK, Lamonde Automation Ltd. in Surrey.
Lamonde add 50% to the US prices. I don't know how they justify that kind of markup.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum