My first PLC

fransancho

I'm just starting to learn the basics on PLCs but I would like to buy a PLC to have at home to try things as I'm learning. I have worked with other kind of controllers in the past but not PLCs.

Which would be a good PLC for me? I'm looking for something not very expensive but that will be compatible with what I will find in the industry.

Would it come with all I need to program it or I will also need to buy software and cables?

I'll appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

For a Home, first time user, I would recomend the Unitronics. Its a neat litle package, Its more of an HMI with a built in PLC. The software is free, and simple to use, and it comes with the cables.

www.unitronics.com

To use in an industrial application I just dont thing it is robust enuff.

If you want something that could be used in an industrial application then get a DL05 ($100) from Automation Direct and the associated programming software ($150) and cables ($30). That's about as cheap as you'll find for an industrial grade PLC.

Moin fransancho,
moin all,

just to get your feet wet?

If you have a spare PC in the basement, you could use it as your PLC. Even if it is a very old box.

You can get the required IEC 61131 programming software and the PLC kernel from my homepage
http://www.61131.com

For your personel education the non-commercial version is free.

Regards
Friedrich Haase