New to PLC's

BrianMDowns

Hello everyone! As the headline suggests, I'm new to PLC programming. Been in maintenance around 12 years, so obviously I've been around them. But have never had a hand in programming one or anything. So my question is this: "What is the cheapest way to start the road to PLC programming?" I've been looking at the Click PLc's via Automation Direct, but I'm not sure if that's the best and cheapest place to start. With 3 young children, cost is a factor. :)

Thank you all in advance for the suggestions.

....but I'm not sure if that's the best and cheapest place to start. .

Welcome to the world of PLC programming

Well having both would be hard and its up to the end user if they have the best, you will find many, many different opinions

The Click is a very good one (I think) but if I were you, I would look at what systems you have at the place where you work, if you have all Siemens or AB then I would try and go with one of them

For the cheapest... find a platform that has free software, Click, Allen Bradley (MicroLogix 1000 and 1100) and Micro800 series, others also offer demo software that will work great just for learning

We sell PLC trainers and training material www.plccable.com and our prices are good, another good cheap is ebay and find used parts

So you have a few options...

Best of luck with your new adventure!

http://accautomation.ca/programming/plc-beginners-guide/

The above link will take you through learning the basics of PLC programming. I would look over the information and start at a spot that you feel that you require more information.
The Click is a good PLC but I would recommend the Do More Series from Automation Direct. The software Do-More Designer is a free programming package that also incorporates a simulator. This way you can program and test, just like you have a PLC sitting on your desk.
Information is free, but the drive to learn and grow is up to you.

Regards,

If you order a click you get 30 days of online training included. The videos are a very good way of learning PLC basics. The basics are pretty standard no matter what platform you use.

Click is about as cheap as they come, and as far as entry-level PLC's go, probably the best on the market IMO. But they are limited in what they can do.

A micrologix 1100 is a great middle-ground, as you can get free software for it, and it has onboard ethernet. If your plant is primarily AB, this is a good option.

If your plant is primarily Siemens, an S7-1200 is a good middle-ground controller, although I'm not sure about software cost.

If your plant is primarily AB and you have a little more money to throw around, a 1769_L16 CompactLogix is far and away your best option. Not overly expensive for what it is, and it's latest-generation stuff with the latest programming environment. But speaking of the programming environment, the software is not cheap.

My 2c would be, start with a base model Click. It's a very small investment and will give you a reasonable starting point. If you find you like it and want to go further, consider a ML1100 or a S7-1200, depending on what you have most exposure to. If you play with the click and find you love it, and definitely want to get into this, I'd go all in and make the investment in a 1769-L16 CompactLogix and the software. Well worth it, if you want to give yourself real-worl experience.

Will your plant not provide you with some tools to help learn the trade. I would suspect that even if you don't work with them now(the Plc's), if you said something to management they would be glad to help get you started.

Dear Brian,
You already (I assume) have a computer. Someone suggested a 'free' software package that includes a PLC simulator. With something like this one can learn with no monetary outlay. I would suggest starting there.

Next, where you work, do 'they' have the tools to access and work with the PLC's in that environment? That would be a second place to try learning (with no cost). There are also any number of tutorials on the internet - finding and reading those on the systems in your work environment will also help.

Lastly, if one has an application in mind for an actual PLC, then one should 'shop around' for a decent PLC to implement it. Or ask here.

Where I work we have retired a few machines with old PLC's in them . . . sometimes software can be gotten free . . cables to attach the computer to the PLC can be problematic . . . Or sometimes they are available with the 'retired junque'. Or cables can be built by hand.
Poet.

Poet.

Welcome to the forum.

you already have several suggestions.

May I suggest the following.
What plc's are in your plant?
other than getting programming experience for a particular plc, it will do you no good to learn brand x if all that is in your plant is brand y.

I would see if maintenance has a unit that maintenance can play with (they have one here, programming software, and cables).

see if you can learn on it when you can. That will show you are interest in furthering your career in the plant.

best of luck,
james

cheapest place to start. With 3 young children, cost is a factor. :)

You can download the free version of RsLogix 500 and emulate and start for free.

For $35 you can download logixpro. It's great. Try it free for 14 days. I bought the full version and it was well worth it. Works just like RsLogix 500.

For $100 - $150. Buy a used 10 point micrologix 1000 off ebay and a cable.

I would start with the logixpro trial.