You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 5th, 2020, 11:19 AM   #1
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

OT: Coronavirus do you care?

So there is a lot of hype going around if you read the internet or watch the news... anyone here preparing? have you started to see it hit your business? do you think its going to just be a bad flu or something worse?
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old March 5th, 2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Aabeck
United States

The shops I go to I frequently hear of them being afraid to open any packages from China. One had a salesman show up while I was at their shop, the salesman (born in America & never traveled to China) was oriental and the owner refused to meet with him.

Personally I classify it like the governments do as "Population Control" and don't believe there is anything I can do to avoid getting it.

Also, those blue dust masks you see people in the news wearing are still only DUST masks that I don't think would stop any virus from going through or bypassing. That would require a full-face organic compound gas mask.
Old March 5th, 2020, 11:35 AM   #3
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

We are all asked to work from home and you can actually notice the traffic getting a bit better during rush hours. Other local companies like Microsoft and Amazon are all doing the same.

I'm of the minority opinion thus far by saying that the media did not hype this nor did we properly prepare for it. We should have screened everyone at port of entry starting a month ago and made test to ANYONE who shows even mild symptom. I believe this so strongly that I sold a good portion of my equity holding 3-4 weeks ago. Thus far, nothing happened should be a surprise. Social media is of two extreme reaction, one is not to worry while the other side is the world is ending. Neither is correct.

Of course, now there's panic around here with mad dash to grocery stores. I am not doing anything special beside taking the normal precaution of washing hands and avoid public events. However, I do have to travel for a FAT next week....

IHMO, USA is ill prepared for this. The past 50 years had made us complacent.
Old March 5th, 2020, 11:59 AM   #4
VAN
United States

A buddy of mine told me it's getting past the brain barrier and is actually a scary thing.

Could leave perm. brain damage or death.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2493326/
Old March 5th, 2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Peter Nachtwey
United States

I am in SW Washington. We are still working but we are asking people to stay home if they sneeze or cough. The local Costco store didn't have any bottled water.

Governments, politicians and bureaucrats are incompetent and some are evil.
We should have closed the borders at the first hint of this virus.
Old March 5th, 2020, 01:40 PM   #6
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nachtwey View Post
Governments, politicians and bureaucrats are incompetent and some are evil.
Peter, how could you say such a thing... you know the cut the fed rate by .5 what more could you ask for?

Not that I am a social butterfly but I think I will be avoiding crowds and people in general, I have always been a germaphobe so for the most part it will be live as usual
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old March 5th, 2020, 01:52 PM   #7
JesperMP
Denmark

We export to all around the world including china, and we do see a hit in business.
I dont think this will bo over soon, rather I am afraid this can cause a long-lasting global recession.
I have to travel to slovakia in a couple of weeks, it is not a hotspot at the moment, but and I am checking the recommendations of our foreign ministry re travel to other countries.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:00 PM   #8
Timbert
United States

So, I have an upcoming trip to Yokohama for work that is in limbo. Work came out with a list of international locations we can't travel to (of course it doesn't match CDC or WHO recommendations and any US location is ok.) As of today, I would go to Japan (wife was planning on coming along) but I am keeping an eye on developments.

Haven't changed any of my personal travel plans and I won't unless the CDC or WHO makes specific recommendations.

I've been wiping down HMIs and the like with anti-bacterial wipes a little more often. I've upped the hand-washing a bit too. I always have a bunch of cleaning supplies, especially in flu season, so not a big change. Checked my stock levels at home and had plenty so I didn't run out and panic buy.

Covid-19 is no joke but I think there is a lot of panic because of the uncertainty. At this point, I'm much more worried about people's reactions to Covid-19 than the actual disease. It is silly that I can't buy toilet paper because apparently people can't face the end of the world without butt-wipe (gonna have to make do with the 36-pack from Costco I already had in the closet).
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:24 PM   #9
Timbert
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nachtwey View Post
This is what worries me. Overreaction.

I have no problem implementing health checks at the border. In some countries like Japan it's normal (IR cameras on all arriving passengers). But the modern world is much too interconnected to try and put the genie back in the bottle.

How many times would the border have been closed in the past decade if we "closed the borders at the first hint" of a new virus? MERS, yellow fever, Ebola, Dengue, Polio, Lassa Fever, Rift Valley Fever, Zika, Cholera, Monkeypox, Measles, Chikungunya, Hantavirus, and those are the just the disease outbreaks the WHO reported last year.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:37 PM   #10
mk42
United States

Personally I'm not too worried, but I have a hearty immune system and tend to not get things that knock the rest of my family out. I'm going to mostly avoid things like shaking hands, super basic preventative stuff.

My company is cutting all "non-critical" travel both domestic and international; I think it needs executive level approval but they're still working on the actual official policy. I think we've also been told to not attend things like trade shows, even if they're local.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:54 PM   #11
shawn_75
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbert View Post
I've been wiping down HMIs and the like with anti-bacterial wipes a little more often.
Ever read a can of lysol? Here's their directions for disinfection and sanitization:

To Disinfect:

Surfaces must remain wet for 3 minutes then allow to air dry.
For Norovirus surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes then allow to air dry
Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use.

To Sanitize:

Surfaces must remain wet for 10 seconds then allow to air dry.

I have to wonder how effective an antibacterial wipe could be.
Old March 5th, 2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Timbert
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_75 View Post
You're right there is a lot of discussion about their effectiveness. Proper use is important.

It is probably as much a placebo as anything, but considering how I think I'm the only one that bothers, it typically needs grime removal anyway. Filed under probably doesn't hurt, better safe than sorry.
Old March 5th, 2020, 04:28 PM   #13
James Mcquade
United States

I have to be cautious when working around sick people.
My wife has Lupus which has no cure and it weakens the immune system. My boss wants me to avoid being around sick people since I am in the IT department and deal with everyone. Other than that, life goes on.

james
Old March 5th, 2020, 05:12 PM   #14
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_75 View Post
I am the person at the grocery store using the wipes on the carts before using them... I have been doing this since Perel came out with the wipes, I also have a tube in my car, other than last Christmas/New Year its been about 5 years since the last time I got sick, I also get a flu shot every year, the way I look at it, I own my own business and have not taken a sick day since I opened (2007) I hope I never do, so I think every little bit helps... even if they are only 50% effective, I will still take 50%
Old March 5th, 2020, 05:55 PM   #15
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbert View Post
This is what worries me. Overreaction.

I have no problem implementing health checks at the border.
You are assuming this is possible and we are ready. Until then the borders should have been closed. Now we have the Wuhan virus here and I have no faith in the government, bureaucrats and politicians.

Quote:
In some countries like Japan it's normal (IR cameras on all arriving passengers).
That assumes one is exhibiting symptoms.

Quote:
But the modern world is much too interconnected to try and put the genie back in the bottle.
Then this will be like any other flu. It will be the survival of the fittest. If you die, you die. This appears to be the attitude in China now.

Quote:
How many times would the border have been closed in the past decade if we "closed the borders at the first hint" of a new virus?
Don't know but most of these don't spread like the Wuhan virus.

The WHO is bought and paid for by the Chinese government.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum