Need a Small Stepper/Driver/Controller Package

bchoover

I am looking for a sugestion on a small combo package that would drive a NEMA 23/34 size stepper motor. Here are some project considerations.

1) The motion profiles are simple.
2) The base controller will be PLC based.
3) There are multiple axis required.
4) Controll via I/O is preferred.
5) 2Amp driver is ideal.

Your leads are greatly appreciated.

Brian

Geckodrive has very good reputation for quality stepper drivers at a reasonable price, sub-$150. These take step and direction signals only. They also have a relatively new 6-axis controller, the G-Rex, that I believe is designed for standalone applications such as this. www.geckodrive.com

Somebody also mentioned Automation Direct. It is my theory their drives are nothing more than slightly tweaked, private-labeled drives made by Applied Motion Products. They, too, are step & direction and you need a controller.

For a hobby project, (disclaimer: I've also sold a few) I've designed my own driver (takes step & direction signals) that will microstep 3 amp motors. The schematic and microcontroller code is open source if you wish to take look. www.bright.net/~agarb/STMD/AVR_STMD.html The microcontroller's program memory is only about 40% full, so if you can write assembler code for AVRs you could create your own motion profiles and use the step/direction inputs as general purpose inputs. Of course it would be a whole lot easier to buy something off-the-shelf...

Is there anybody in Great Toronto Area who is familiar to Velmex controllers? Our sister company has a glue machine using Velmex VP9000 for X Y control (with 12" x 24" unislide). We are bringing the same production to Mississauga so we need to design and make a similar machine.

Guess I should have noticed how old this one is.!!!!!!!!

Check out Oriental motor, they have a range of options from simple to sophisticated. It depends what you want. I have used some of their products and have been impressed.
I have also used these:
http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=edcd62972dcd0339e0aea4a8dd10d3cb
They are badged from www.leadshine.com. The drives are very simple & cheap. I guess it depends what you need to do with them. Not sure about a US distributor though.

Last edited: