How to Advance PLC Programming Skills

dskplc

Hello,

I have some skills as a PLC programmer but I need to learn how to program more complex processes. Does anyone have any suggestions how to keep building on basic knowledge if my job doesn't give me any projects? I am trying to learn on my own. I have been through some online tutorials but looking for more advanced programming projects. Thank you.

What I do is to create my own project that requires something I don't know how to do. Currently I'm working on how to add and control a device using DeviceNet. I've never done it before, and it is proving to be a bit of a challenge. Once I get DeviceNet sorted out, I'll move on to very basic motion programming, and then more complex gearing and camming. I have done the same thing for analog I/O, and comms between SLC and 5K processors. It makes it more likely that I'll get a chance to work on a project that requires those skills since I have at least a basic understanding of what is involved. Bottom line is I don't wait for the boss to give me a project that requires those skills, rather I create my own virtual project that builds my skills where I know I'm weak and I can tinker with it when time allows. If you need an idea for something specific, I'm sure someone here can offer an idea or two that will help you learn specific skills.

Will.

Last edited:
I dont know your background but I would say study up on the physical processes, how is the way a mixing, temperature, or rotational device control requirements differ, for example. There are different levels of "advanced"...high speed where scan cycles and efficiency matter, complex sequencing, interfacing with a device that doesn't speak a standard protoc0l out of the box,...pick your poison.

What I do is to create my own project that requires something I don't know how to do. Currently I'm working on how to add and control a device using DeviceNet. I've never done it before, and it is proving to be a bit of a challenge. Once I get DeviceNet sorted out, I'll move on to very basic motion programming, and then more complex gearing and camming. I have done the same thing for analog I/O, and comms between SLC and 5K processors. It makes it more likely that I'll get a chance to work on a project that requires those skills since I have at least a basic understanding of what is involved. Bottom line is I don't wait for the boss to give me a project that requires those skills, rather I create my own virtual project that builds my skills where I know I'm weak and I can tinker with it when time allows. If you need an idea for something specific, I'm sure someone here can offer an idea or two that will help you learn specific skills.

Will.
Thank uoi willxfmr. I think I am meaning to ask where I can find online or printed resources that will challenge my thinking beyond a start/stop circuit rung. I have many google searches and there are a lot of Rockwell which is my main focus but I am looking for more resources.

Thank you kjmc. I see your point about understanding the processes also.

You need to build real things, not look for tutorials.

And learn a real programming languages as well. Any language will do - c, c++, java, javascript, php, pascal, basic or whatever.

There are concepts in real programming languages that can successfully be applied to automation. And as the problems get more complicated you are more likely to run into situations where ladder or simple instruction list programming will not do. Then knowing a real programming language will come into play.

Also automation becomes more IT centric so any IT skill is always of use. I'm thing of stuff like general tcp/ip knowledge, knowing what dhcp is, configuring switches, setting up vlans, configuring firewalls, installing windows os, etc.

In the end programming is just a way to solve a problem. And problem solving is the real skill. You learn by thinking and doing, more so than doing some fake tutorials. And if you don't have a real problem to solve, you make something up. Automate something.

Last edited:
I have found the best way for me is to look at the way others have tackled problems.

I couldnt Agree more. I deconstruct other peoples work and thus learn. Thats how I learned the DH+ comms and MSG Instruction for example.

it helped me to learn from none to some non-beginner programs

Try what I am doing right now, PLC+HMI, about 12selectable and editable models, 4 different families of models, each one with a sligthly different process, some of these families have a "variant" that forces me to use a different tooling or sensor. I have already programmed for real a couple of these, butI am trainning into complexing it, each model could be editable in the HMI to change model name, family type and variant, about 15 different "test", with a family-test screen to edit wich test to apply to each family, also for each model, specific limits in some test.

My specific machines are for testing drills, hammer drills, impact-drills, so I test speed, current and start current, voltage, direction turn, and some special test

I have an apprentice that learned a lot helping me to program one of these, if you need more info about the challenge, contact me