Identify Slot in PLC 5

Similar to Ron's earlier post. I really like his one-finger versus two-finger explanation.

Note that inputs and outputs are automatically assigned to the slots based on the Addressing Mode. In 1-slot addressing each slot counts as one Group. So each slot has been assigned one word of input and one word of output. This method allows a user to use either 8 or 16-point I/O modules and freely place them in any slot. 32-point modules could only be used if you alternated input and output modules.

Do not count the controller. It does not consume an I/O slot. It has its own dedicated slot. So counting over from left to right we say "CPU, Rack 00 Group 0, Rack 00 Group 1, Rack 00 Group 2, Rack 00 Group 3, etc... Once you finish a Rack with Group 7, you then increment to the next Rack # and restart groups with 0.

And of course, I/O addresses are all octal, so you'll notice there are no 8s or 9s in the Rack/Group/Bit addresses.

You see in this graphic below that group and slot sort of correlate but only up to a point. So it is best to just keep the terms slot and group as completely separate. "Group" is a software term and "slot" is a physical term. Similarly, "Rack" is a software term while "chassis" is a physical term.

OG

1-Slot Addressing Example.png