Identify Keyence PLC's Please

I_Automation

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a project I am designing a quote for an upgrade on.

Per the schematic, the PLC I saw and an upload I took, it is run by an AB MicroLogic.

Looking over the file of photos I took (guess I wasn't paying close attention to notice then) this thing has a Keyence PLC hidden inside the machine behind an E-stop button, also in a junction box inside the machine there are 3 Keyence Micro-PLC's (or maybe multiple sensor interfaces??) This machine has 2 tables each with about a dozen part present sensors. The wire numbers I can read in the photos don't match the schematic, and the schematic has nothing about these.

My Keyence guy can't ID them from the photos, (Sorry about the flash and the focus) and new photos & getting the model numbers are a 3 hour driving round trip from home. If I knew the model numbers he can get me the software I need and let me know if I need an adapter or interface for them.

Does anyone here recognize these?

EDIT - One odd thing is all 4 of them have a bank of DIP switches and 4 rotary switches, and they all seem to be 8IN/8Out or 6IN/6OUT that a PLC wouldn't normally have an equal Input - Output IO count.

0211221144.jpg 0211221015a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks similar to some of relay blocks that we use on some older equipment

KL-8BXR

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at those on Keyence's website they are part of their KV-8000 series PLC line.

Would those be just a bank of interposing relays, or remote IO for a KV-8000 PLC? I downloaded their manual for these and it shows they are controlled by a RemoteLink module on a PLC's rack.

I thought of them being Remote-IO, but there are no cables or extra connections I see for communications. Plus didn't see a KV-8000 series (or any other) PLC when I opened every panel while inspecting it. [EDIT - and they're definitely NOT connected to and controlled by the ML1200]

Last edited:
If I remember correctly KV family is the newer version of the KL family. Been awhile. I believe they have modules to integrate the KL modules into the KV family but originally it was controlled either by a KL remote link or direct connect master.

IMG 0211221144.jpg appears to have a cable running to SA SB SG .... That should be your trunk connection. Where does that run to?

.... That should be your trunk connection. Where does that run to?

That's what puzzled me before when I was thinking these were remote I/O.

I opened EVERY cover on this machine and took photos of all and the only PLC I saw was the ML1200 that is shown on the schematic as where it should be.

If there is a Keyence PLC it must be hidden well or placed somewhere not obvious. Also, no cables run from this machine to any other machine, control panel, or anywhere else in the shop.

Looks like next time I get down there I may have to do some disassembling and tracing cables.

At least I will have the KV Studio software before I go there hoping it will cover whatever PLC I eventually find.

I do enjoy a good where's waldo. Happens often around here since on most of our equipment the prints haven't been updated since 1972. Probably will have to trace the trunk cabling around. I'd imagine its all single system so all the blocks should be trunked together.

Let me know what you find. Some of OEMs are really good at hiding remote racks.

Hellsbishop34,

Got down to that machine and had to dig around and found a KV-700 PLC where no PLC should be. Actually had to trace back where the cables from the remote I/O were headed to find it.

Turns out the AB M/L that this has that is easily found is only a sensor interface for 20 part present sensors, the M/L on the schematic is long gone.

Unfortunately not one wire number matches the schematic - looks like this was completely rewired when the AB M/L was replaced with the KV and they have nothing from then. Going to have to take a couple days and trace every wire and component first.