RSlogix and controlFLASH on a virtual machine.

THere is almost no difference between a VM and a Host System. But yes, yes you can with great ease. If you have trouble getting RSLinx to find devices, your VM -> Host network connections are likely at fault.

If you have trouble getting RSLinx to find devices, your VM -> Host network connections are likely at fault.

This is why I almost always use a USB to Ethernet adapter and add that device to the VM (VM -> Removable Devices -> Connect to VM) so that it shows up as a native port in the VM and you can use/configure it just like you would if you weren't using the VM.

I prefer to install RSLinx Lite and ControlFlash on my main operating system specifically when I will be using ControlFlash over USB.

The disconnection and reconnection as different device ID's during flash upgrade of some devices can break the process, causing it to stall in between steps.

Over Ethernet, it's not a problem.

I prefer to install RSLinx Lite and ControlFlash on my main operating system specifically when I will be using ControlFlash over USB.

The disconnection and reconnection as different device ID's during flash upgrade of some devices can break the process, causing it to stall in between steps.

Over Ethernet, it's not a problem.

Yep and add Bootp if I don't have access to a managed switch with DHCP.