RedLion DataStation Profinet

Jonnie_R

Does anyone know if the Red Lion Datastation range can do Profinet?

Basically we have a machine with a PN/PN coupler serving the data we need, but the Mitsubishi Profinet(yes my customer wanted Mitsubishi) card is having trouble connecting.

I was hoping the Red Lion unit could pull the data from the PN/PN coupler and serve it to the Mitsubishi card and we might have more success this way.

The SI is trying to get support from Mitsubishi, but time is running out and we need a solution, and I am stuck in the middle trying to help everyone get it resolved.

Jon

1. Device name loaded into the PN/PN coupler on both sides ?
And the name(s) correspond with the names as setup on both IO Controllers ?

2. Can the Mitsubishi card be a Profinet IO Device, instead of Profinet IO Controller ?
If so, and assuming that the Mitsubishi Profinet card is exclusively used for data exchange with one partner, then it could be a more clean solution to drop the PN/PN coupler and let the Mitsubishi be an IO Device for your IO Controller.
I am guessing that if go this route you then setup the data areas in the configuration software for the Mitsubishi card, and then generate the XML which in turn you import into the configuration of the IO controller. This is an almost foolproof way of avoiding errors in the configuration of the two partners.
The device name of the Mitsubishu card must correspond with the name setup in the IO Controller.

Jesper,

I am not on site in Belgium anymore, I am doing network config and support remotely in the UK, but I will ask the SI to check.

The Mitsubishi card is talking to many devices. We have 5 Profinet cards in total and about 500 devices across the system. Interroll controllers, SEW Movimot and Datalogic barcode scanners are all connected and working fine over Profinet. It's just theSiemens PN/PN couplers that don't want to play nice.

Jon

I see.

Are you sure that the PN/PN coupler device name is loaded correctly on both sides ?
If you connect for example PRONETA on both sides, does the PN/PN coupler show up ?
And the setup of the data transfer areas are mirrored in the two projects ?
Is the PN/PN coupler having errors (SF or BF), or is it 'only' the data transfer that doesnt work ?

To answer your first question: to my knowledge, none of the Red Lion DataStation or similar products support ProfiNet.

There are other gateway-class products that do, from HMS, Hilscher, and Real-Time Automation off the top of my head.

Jesper,

I believe the SI has had some feedback from Mitsubishi and they have modified the GSD file slightly apparently. So we will see.

Ken,

I was aware of the HMS Anybus devices, but thought Red Lion might be a better solution and I've used them in the past to go from Modbus to AB.

Thanks for the responses, I'll see what tomorrow brings.