You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 10th, 2002, 08:54 PM   #1
Steve_D
Australia

RS422 cable 25 pin to 9 pin

I have a need to connect an RS232 cable to an RS422 port. I have a converter which is 25 pin in and out, I need to connect to 9pin plugs, I have the pin outs for the RS232 cable but don't have the pinouts for a 25 to 9 pin RS422 cable. Can anyone assist. I am assuming that all RS422 plugs are the same pin configuration.
Old October 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #2
Eric Nelson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Assuming you need the 25 to 9-pin adapter on the RS-232 side (to connect to your PC), you can use a standard 25 to 9-pin (male to female) adapter readily available at any computer store. Look in your "junk box", you probably already have one.

For reference, see THIS listing in The Hardware Book

beerchug

-Eric
Old October 10th, 2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Eric Nelson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Note to self... Always read posts thoroughly before replying...

Whoops! After re-reading your post, I realized that you need an adapter for the RS-422 side. I don't think these follow any "standard", though I've been wrong before (more than I'll admit!). If there IS a standard, THIS LINK might be helpful for the device side

You'll need to know the pinout of your converter (printed on side maybe?) as well as the pinout of the RS-422 device. What are you trying to connect to? You might find pinouts available from the manufacturer. Once you have that info it's easy.

RX+ to TX+
RX- to TX-
TX+ to RX+
TX- to RX-

Without that info, you're out of luck...

beerchug

-Eric
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:29 AM   #4
Steve_D
Australia

Thanks Eric

Thanks for the input Eric, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case as I don't have the pinouts for the Converter. I was hoping that all 25 pin RS422 pinouts would be the same otherwise, why sell a converter when the chances are the signals will not be on the pins you want??
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:41 AM   #5
Jay Anthony
United States

OK. Let us in on it. What are you trying to connect RS422 to? What manufacturer? There's probably one of us that can help you out.
Old October 11th, 2002, 01:11 PM   #6
rsdoran
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I didnt know that a RS422 device wouldn't follow the EIA standards that are set just like RS 232 is.

Two channel adapter port powered
25 Pin Female

1 GND
2 TD (A)
3 RD (A)
5 RD (A)
14 TD (B)
17 RD (B)
18 RD (B)
7 GND

25 +12volt
12 GND

NOTE that just like an RS 232 cable that 2 & 3 are being used to transmit and recieve. EIA RS 422 wasnt designed to change or be different than RS 232, it just allowed longer lengths. Follow the RS 232 pinouts and you should be fine
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #7
Jim Dungar
United States

EIA does not define which RS232, RS422, or RS485 pin is which function. However there are normal conventions (especially in the computer market), but you always need to know what devices you are connecting to. For example a 25pin device is different than a 9pin, and some DTE connections are opposite from DCE ones.

Right now I have three different RS485 items on my desk and each one has a different pin out as well as different terminology (Tx(B) vs Tx(+)).

Convertors typically use PC conventions, but they are frequently used with custom built cables when connecting to non-computer ports.
Old October 11th, 2002, 09:04 PM   #8
rsdoran
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I disagree but the EIA standards arent free, so I wont argue the point.

The difference is when connecting to DTE or DCE devices, nothing else
Old October 13th, 2002, 11:33 PM   #9
Steve_D
Australia

Thanks all!

After much investigation and with the help of your advice I have established communications...thanks for your time guys.
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #10
zonix
Argentina

RS422 Cable

Check this site for RS422 Video information

http://www.rs422.com.ar/#Connect_RS422
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum