slc 150

vf816

High guys hoping for some help on a question.
Fist off this form is great with allot of knowledge so cheers to all the contributors.
I have limited experience with programing.And I am trying to convert an old slc 150 program to rs logic.
Question 712 is listed as internal relay on the slc 150 print out.In the teach manual from ab on 150 programing I could not find enough information for me to correlated to rs logic.

Thanks for any help I will try to zip and attach what I have so far.

Map internal relays to B3 file addresses.

If you are less familiar with the program it might help you to make a cheat sheet in Excel. Using auto-fill you can make one really fast.
701 = B3/0
702 = B3/1
702 = B3/3, etc.

If 901 is a timer then 901 = T4:0 or if a counter than 901 = C5:0
902 = T4:1/C5:1,
etc.

Do the same thing for your IO points.

The addressing can be found on page 3-3 of the manual. Search the forum for SLC100 to find the manual.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for the conversion

I was going back and forth and back and forth etc..

I am having trouble uploading file to big.

I will show what I have done when its compacted

I do have the manual printed here at work yesterday.Good thing I can print both sides of the paper 300 plus sheets.Oh boy.
The darn thing even stapled it for me.You got love smart people.

I go about these translations a little differently. RSLogix 5 and 500 support symbolic programming, so I simply take the printout of the full x-ref for the SLC 150 (or PLC 2) and use Excel to create symbols that match the old memory addresses. Since the Logix symbols must begin with a letter, I just prepend a "B" to it. This table, saved as a csv file, can be imported directly into RSLogix.

As an example, your "701" becomes "B701". For a PLC-2, the address 01011 becomes B01011. This way, when I'm typing in a rung in RSLogix, I can just type in B01011 directly without needing a cross-reference spreadsheet.

If you've never worked with Excel for this, let me know and I'll try to put together some instructions.

Since RSLogix 5000 is tag-based, you don't really need to create the symbol table in advance, since you can just create the tags as you go.

I usually do that as well, but I figured that since we were working with a limited experience programmer and since most SLC150 programs aren't really very large, I wouldn't dive into that. But now the cats out of the bag.

Here is a link to another post where I attached a spreadsheet tool for importing symbols into RSLogix500. Once again, you can use the autofill to speed things up. If you put _701 in one symbols cell, _702 in the symbol cell below it, then highlight both cells and mouse hover in the bottom right corner of the second cell until the cursor turns to a +, then click and drag down, Excel will autofill and increment the address. Do the same thing with B3/x addresses and timers, counters, etc. Then save it as a CSV and import it into RSLogix500. Then once you have the symbols imported in Logix500 when entering an address type _ followed by the SLC150 address and Logix will put the right address in for you.

More on how to use it in the post.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=113201&postcount=11

I hope you find it useful.

If you really want to get into advanced Excel+ RSlogix techniques then somewhere on here I posted an example of how to use Excel to create hundreds of rungs super fast. Search for Excel and my username and you'll find it.

Last edited:
High
I have a question about the auto end command internal bit 701 in the 150 program I am trying to convert.(see attached)
I am unable to to get it to take in rs logic what am I missing.
Thanks for all the help I have received.

In the file you posted rung 010 does not have an output instruction. And rung 011
needs an address assigned to the output coil ( e.g. B3:??/??)

What do you mean by "unable to to get it to take"?

What RsLogix500 B3 address did you decide to map the SLC500 701 address to? That is the address you want to use.

Eg, if you mapped 701 to B3/0 then

PC-1 LS-1 B3/0
---]\[-----] [-------------------( )----

I also see another problem in your program. SLC-150 timers are all retentive. If you are trying to match the code line for line then use the RTO instruction for timers instead of TON

Is that the entire program?

If not, then do you have a PCIS software file for the SLC-150? It will be a file with a .100 extension on it. If so can you post it? If you don't have that then can you post the entire program printout?

That's kind of were i am getting lost.

701 is listed as a internal relay in the 150 program not sure how to apply to RS logic.

Yes I no I have about 70 rungs to do. just did not want to get to far,Then find out i was doing something wrong.
Everything I have learned is self taught at a very slow pace hard to find time to do it.
I only have RS Logic at work.At home I purchased Automation Direct Click and have that working with a cmore panel just small stuff pressure sw and on off stuff.I think that's making it harder for me to learn 2 different plcs at the same time.
But if you don't try to do it you will never get it done.

Logix500 internal bits are B file addresses. That means the address starts with the letter B. The first Bit type file is file 3. If you are unfamiliar with this then before you go any farther get the manual for the processor you are using and study the section on addressing - you'll have no end to headaches if you don't understand Logix500 addressing first.

Go back to that Excel cheat sheet that I posted back in post number 2. It shows one way you might map the address conversions. If you choose to follow it then everytime you see 701 in the SLC150 program you will type in "B3/0" in the Logix500 program. Everytime you see 702 in the SLC150 program you will type "B3/1" in the Logix500 program, etc.

RSLogix500 Starter is the free version. If will program a Micrologix1100 or Micrologix1000 PLC. If you want something to use at home I suggest you download it. Search the forum for "RSLogix500 Starter" and you'll find a download link.

Last edited:
Alaric
I was doing that then when I found that 701 listed as a open and closed bit.(see attached)It seemed a little odd for this beginer.o_O

Yes I am trying to go line for line conversion.
There is a print out.
I have no cables or computer to use to hook up to the 150 with.
The print out is to big to upload to the site.It is 24 pages long and about 800 b looks like just under 400 is the limit.
It will email though I sent it home and it was OK.
If you would take a email I will send it to you.

Snip...
....I have no cables or computer to use to hook up to the 150 with...
Do you want or need the cable info? Do you want or need the software? I can help you find it.

Last edited: