Cannot create Runtime app in FactoryTalk View V7

PathWanderer

I'm a student going through an FMS training course and currently trying to upload a RunTime application (a pre-made example file that teaches you how to use the HMI) a PanelView Plus 600 HMI module, but when I try to convert the file to a Runtime app with "PVPlus Compact 400/600 [320x240]" selected in the Project Settings I get this error message:

***Start RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages***
ERROR: Unsupported drive detected. Driver Name = "RSLinx Server". Description: Only the Ethernet, Serial DF1 and Serial DH485 drivers are supported by Compact Machine Edition applications.
ERROR: Unsupported drive detected. Driver Name = "1789-L60/A Softlogix 5860 Controller". Description: Only the Ethernet, Serial DF1 and Serial DH485 drivers are supported by Compact Machine Edition applications.
***End RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages***

If I change the Project Settings to PVPlus 400/600 [320x240] then it will convert to a runtime, but the HMI we're using will only accept Compact Machine Edition runtime files. All connections are through Ethernet, and my instructor does not know what to do as this is the first time they've seen this problem, and another student went through this same part of the course a couple months ago without this problem so we think something has updated since then and messed something up.

One thing I've tried doing is going to File -> New Application... and then importing all configuration, settings, and programming, etc from the file I'm supposed to use, which does allow me to convert it to a runtime file, but all the graphics get messed up and most of the functionality is lost as this circumvents converting the program from version 6.1 (what it came as) to the version 7 we use. My personal theory is the Conversion algorithm that changes the program from 6.1 to 7 is the culprit by not properly converting the driver configuration, but my instructor wants me to find out for sure before we commit to down-grading to FactoryTalk View version 6.1.

It looks to me like it is upset with your communication setup. You are trying to choose a communication configuration that the Compact version of PanelView doesn't support.

Can you please list the catalog number of your PanelView Plus? This will help determine what you actually have.

Also, I don't believe your issue is a v7 problem so don't downgrade. In fact, never downgrade. There is a high chance you will regret trying.

Edit: while you are getting the catalog number, maybe post a screenshot of your communication setup if you can.

RSLinx is irrelivant when it comes to FactoryTalk/PanelView applications. Downloading and communicating happens with RSLinxEnterprise (now FactoryTalk Linx). So the screenshot I'm curious about is in your FactoryTalk application, way at the bottom of the tree, RSLinx Enterprise > Communication Setup. This is where you tell your application how to communicate to your PLC.

RSLinx is irrelivant when it comes to FactoryTalk/PanelView applications. Downloading and communicating happens with RSLinxEnterprise (now FactoryTalk Linx). So the screenshot I'm curious about is in your FactoryTalk application, way at the bottom of the tree, RSLinx Enterprise > Communication Setup. This is where you tell your application how to communicate to your PLC.

The CompactLogix shortcut is tied to 0, 1768-L43, hmi_manu_1 in the Runtime [Target] tab

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

Okay, I figured it out.

On your first screenshot, you are pointing to the sercos module. That is an issue, but it is not thee issue.

Go to the Design tab, if you expand 1789-A17, your will see RSLinx Server under it. Right click on it and delete it. Do the same on the target tab. Now try making a runtime.

Edit: you may still get warnings, but I think it will make the runtime.

Last edited:
Okay, I figured it out.

On your first screenshot, you are pointing to the sercos module. That is an issue, but it is not thee issue.

Go to the Design tab, if you expand 1789-A17, your will see RSLinx Server under it. Right click on it and delete it. Do the same on the target tab. Now try making a runtime.

Edit: you may still get warnings, but I think it will make the runtime.
It worked, thank you! I never would have found that!!