Eaton HMI to AB Micrologix 1400 communications

whatever

Hello All,

Have any of you connected an Eaton HMI to an AB Micro on channel 2?
I have AB’s cable to connect to channel 0 and all works fine, however I have a project where we are using a lot of these and I would like to save some money on cables by making my own. The problem with that though is the AB Micro channel 0 is an 8 pin mini din that is not standard. All the connectors I’ve found (digi-key, jameco) have the keyway on the opposite side of the connector than the AB micro. Also the outer jacket is a bit too thick to fit into the housing on the AB. I have been able to modify these connectors but it is time consuming and results in a less secure connection than I’m comfortable with. Consequently I’d like to try to use channel 2 on the AB since it is a normal 9 pin Din connection.
I’ve talked to the Eaton Tech Reps and they told me they haven’t done this.
My Eaton is a Eaton HMI06GE, and my AB is Micrologix 1400 1766-L32AWA.
Any info is appreciated, even negatives.

Hi Whatever!

Had a similar problem with a Panasonic FP-Sigma!

I basically used a ps2 connector and chopped off the plastic locater and removed the pins not needed! Crude but worked! Sorry, can't offer much further help.

Cheers...

Why can you not use the other port on the ML1400? I am pretty sure you can configure it the same as Port 0.