Directsoft5/koyo dl06

tundrapolaris

Im very familiar with Rslogix and AB but im trying to work with Directsoft5 and a koyo DL-06, trying to become familiar with it. To star with how would I change an input (x1 to x2) on the fly, or do you have to edit it and then download it with machine shut down? Also how do you force I/O. Can they be force indefinit or one scan only? Thanks in advance.

Open a 'Dataview' and insert the items you wish to view/modify. You can enable an 'edit column' and, through the 'options' menu, enable an 'override' column. In the override column you can selectively enable 'overides' (forcing) for individual items then (at least for on/off items such as inputs, outputs, 'C' bits) you can turn the individual items on or off. Note that 'overrides' are cleared on a power cycle unlike AB.

I have noted a number of helps when moving from AB to Directsoft on my site.

Tundra,

The last time I used a DL-06, it did not have on-line editing (but these things change constantly). The Automation Direct DL-240 and DL-440 PLCs do have on-line editing.

Last edited:
Actually none of the AD PLCs have true online editing as in some AB products. You can edit the logic while viewing online but the edits only exist in the PC. You then have to download which causes the scan to freeze for a moment at the end of the download. Probably not what you want.

An advantage though is that logic changes can be downloaded (Program) without touching the data tables. Or both, ladder and data tables, can be downloaded (Project).

If you use K-Sequence protocol to connect to the PLC you can do a "Run Mode" download. That stops the scan but the output status is unchanged. This usually allows you to download logic without stopping the machine, but be careful when doing this. If you use DirectNet protocol you must stop the processor, loose outputs, download, and then re-start.

Thanks guys. 2 things I would like to know. How to force I/O on or off and if i was to adjust a TMR k value does this value have to be download or can it be done in remote run mode? Does any one have a copy of these basic programing functions in PDF format? I am using K sequence.

If you are using constants "K" values, then these must be downloaded along with the program. If you want something that you can change on the fly, use a vememory address in place of a "K" for the preset.

Thanks, but the program is already written and I dont want to change it, only tweak it. See my brother inlaw has a potato farm and this plc is on there bagging machine. Sometimes they run into problems and I would like to adjust timers and possibly force inputs on or off, if for example a proxie is damaged.

You should change the program and download it on a day that the machine is not running... do as icky812 has talked about and change the timers 'K' to Vmemory then you can adjust them on the fly

Better yet... do that then install a C-More micro then you can set it up (very easy) so they can make the changes without hooking up a laptop or PC, I just bought one last week and LOVE it... they are priced very good and are powered off the PLC port, so its plug and play :)

tundrapolaris,

tundrapolaris said:
possibly force inputs on or off, if for example a proxie is damaged.

Here is a quote from the manual about "forces" and "overides"
Service Peripherals and Force I/O
After the CPU reads the inputs from the input modules, it reads any attached peripheral
devices. This is primarily a communications service for any attached devices. For example, it
would read a programming device to see if any input, output, or other memory type status
needs to be modified. There are two basic types of forcing available with the DL06 CPUs:
• Forcing from a peripheral – not a permanent force, good only for one scan
• Bit Override – holds the I/O point (or other bit) in the current state. Valid bits are X, Y, C, T, CT,
and S. (These memory types are discussed in more detail later in this chapter).
Regular Forcing — This type of forcing can temporarily change the status of a discrete bit.
For example, you may want to force an input on, even though it is really off. This allows you
to change the point status that was stored in the image register. This value will be valid until
the image register location is written to during the next scan. This is primarily useful during
testing situations when you need to force a bit on to trigger another event.
Bit Override — Bit override can be enabled on a point-by-point basis by using AUX 59 from
the Handheld Programmer or, by a menu option from within DirectSOFT32™. Bit
override basically disables any changes to the discrete point by the CPU. For example, if you
enable bit override for X1, and X1 is off at the time, then the CPU will not change the state
of X1. This means that even if X1 comes on, the CPU will not acknowledge the change. So, if
you used X1 in the program, it would always be evaluated as “off ” in this case. Of course, if
X1 was on when the bit override was enabled, then X1 would always be evaluated as “on”.
There is an advantage available when you use the bit override feature. The regular forcing is
not disabled because the bit override is enabled. For example, if you enabled the Bit Override
for Y0 and it was off at the time, then the CPU would not change the state of Y0. However,
you can still use a programming device to change the status. Now, if you use the
programming device to force Y0 on, it will remain on and the CPU will not change the state
of Y0. If you then force Y0 off, the CPU will maintain Y0 as off. The CPU will never update
the point with the results from the application program or from the I/O update until the bit
override is removed. The following diagram shows a brief overview of the bit override feature.
Notice the CPU does not update the Image Register when bit override is enabled.

Here is a pic to show how the timers need a "Vmem" as Icky and GIT have been talking about

constantpreset.jpg

When you use a "K" constant in a timer preset the preset can only be changed by a hand held programmer or direct soft and then it will require at the very least a pause of the program or stopping the program

Thank you very much, Im beginning to get the grasp of it. Somewhat like AB, when forcing, you can toggle a bit for a scan or for it. Only in AB, if I understand DL correct is that you can force any I/O on or off no matter what state it is in at that moment. Correct? One more question, can I access the data table and view I/O and bit status as in AB(rslogix) and enter 1 or 0 from there?

Im sorry for all the question, and thanks guys for your help. I havent even gone on line, I guess thats why I dont get the data option. Hope to connect to it next week and test all you guys have helped me with.

I love AD stuff...Just remember that ALL the documentation lives on your PC, and not in the PLC...so if you hook up to a strange PLC, and look at the program that is running in it, all that you will get is a bare bones ladder....I hope you have a copy of the program!!!

And do get a C-More panel...I just put in a 17" unit...Now all I need is a digital tuner....

David

:site: