Advice

qwemx

I want to become a Very Good Automation Engineer, this is the career i have chosen because i am interested in this field , also i hate to be in situations when I have No clue about what is going on , and then because of lack of knowledge have to waste a lots of time to so simple things .
Please advice me how should i go about realizing that Goal

You can either get formal training to jump start your career... which will give you the basics of a PLC platform, but at a cost that will be prohibitive for most people. Or you can find a place where there is PLC development and you can learn from doing.

I would say that knowing how to program is a must have before you attempt anything else.

I know everything that a introductory class will teach , i also have experience working on siemens plc(S7-300) and HMI i . Do automation engineer need knowledge of My SQL? because logging is a requirement in most systems

Do we have to guess your level of competence?
What you do and do not know.

A good automation engineer still does not know everything... but he knows where to look for things he doesn't understand.

A good automation engineer still does not know everything... but he knows where to look for things he doesn't understand.

Some 30 years ago, when I was in high school, I was working as an electronic tech for a small electronics manufacturer. I was troubleshooting a board and didn't know what a chip's function was within a circuit. I took the schematic of the board and went to the owner of the company, the person who designed the board, and asked him what's this chip doing? He looked at the schematic for a few seconds and said let's go to the Library. The Library was the companies' library, this was before the days of the Internet, it was a good sized room with shelves from floor to ceiling stocked with manufacturers data books. After some time he found the book on the chip in question. After spending more time reading about the chip, he took the schematic and explained to me what the chip was doing and how the entire circuit worked.

All this took well over an hour. I felt a little guilty spending that much time on a board that didn't even cost $20, not to mention the time the owner of the company had spent on it. I told him I was sorry for the amount of time he spent on this and that I thought since he designed the board that he would have just remembered what the chip did. And I've never forgotten the words he said to me - "Pat, the intelligent man isn't the one who memorizes everything. The intelligent man is the one who can figure everything out."

"Pat, the intelligent man isn't the one who memorizes everything. The intelligent man is the one who can figure everything out."

I love this!

The requirements for being a good automation engineer are mostly the same as those for being a good auto mechanic or accountant.

Keep the ultimate objective in mind. Good programming or system design isn't the goal. The goal is clean water or quality gasoline or low cost widgets.

Don't give up. You will hardly ever get it right the first time. Keep at it until you get to the source of the problem. There are lessons to be learned from both success and failure.

Use common sense in equal proportion to technical expertise.

Don't be afraid to try something different.

Be considerate of those you work with, and those you work for, and those that work for you.

Tom's comments are words to live by and not just at work.

Note also how Pat's (Tark's) experience left a lasting impression on him. By donating his time and expertise to answering questions on this forum, he's emulating his early boss who was willing to steer a snot-nosed kid in the right direction. The lesson learned was not just guidance in the task at hand, but a mandate to pass that mentoring along to the next generation.

I'm pretty sure everyone who regularly contributes to the forum has a similar story.

Some 30 years ago, when I was in high school, I was working as an electronic tech for a small electronics manufacturer. I was troubleshooting a board and didn't know what a chip's function was within a circuit. I took the schematic of the board and went to the owner of the company, the person who designed the board, and asked him what's this chip doing? He looked at the schematic for a few seconds and said let's go to the Library. The Library was the companies' library, this was before the days of the Internet, it was a good sized room with shelves from floor to ceiling stocked with manufacturers data books. After some time he found the book on the chip in question. After spending more time reading about the chip, he took the schematic and explained to me what the chip was doing and how the entire circuit worked.

All this took well over an hour. I felt a little guilty spending that much time on a board that didn't even cost $20, not to mention the time the owner of the company had spent on it. I told him I was sorry for the amount of time he spent on this and that I thought since he designed the board that he would have just remembered what the chip did. And I've never forgotten the words he said to me - "Pat, the intelligent man isn't the one who memorizes everything. The intelligent man is the one who can figure everything out."

Thank you , it is a great advice

I love this!

The requirements for being a good automation engineer are mostly the same as those for being a good auto mechanic or accountant.

Keep the ultimate objective in mind. Good programming or system design isn't the goal. The goal is clean water or quality gasoline or low cost widgets.

Don't give up. You will hardly ever get it right the first time. Keep at it until you get to the source of the problem. There are lessons to be learned from both success and failure.

Use common sense in equal proportion to technical expertise.

Don't be afraid to try something different.

Be considerate of those you work with, and those you work for, and those that work for you.

thank you very much

I remember that moment. I was sent alone to troubleshoot a dock-lock system. The door just would NOT go up. I found some wires running up but didn't know where. The old man came down, took a pole and slapped the limit switch on top (after about an hour). The door then went up.

He told me: Listen, you don't screw around wondering. You get a lead and you follow it. Over time you learn to chose your leads wisely, but the process is the same. You open it up, trace it out, make the calls, tear it apart and do whatever you need to do solve the problem. This isn't a job for the non-inquisitive.