Micrologix 1100 controlling 1761-net-dni

Don Trop

Hi,
Getting some hands on training and putting together a Micrologix 1100 trainer that that will be used to control DeviceNet DrIves and Valves. I purchased a AB 1761-NET-DNI to give my plc access to DeviceNet network. Am I heading in the right direction and if this will work, where can I find documentation to tell me how. Allen Bradley is not very helpful since DeviceNet is discontinued.

If i remember correctly, the DNI is just an interface, not a scanner. It will allow your micro to be a slave on the DeviceNet fieldbus, but will not act as a master. I think you still have to have a scanner to act as the master.

I haven't read back through it, but had this PDF bookmarked from the last time i had to look at a DeviceNet setup:

https://copperhilltech.com/content/DeviceNet_Troubleshooting.pdf

EDIT: Looked through the manual on the DNI, and it can still be used to control devices through explicit messaging without a master present on the network, provided the devices are Unconnected Message Manager Compatible (UCMM). Page 78 in manual https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um005_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
If i remember correctly, the DNI is just an interface, not a scanner. It will allow your micro to be a slave on the DeviceNet fieldbus, but will not act as a master. I think you still have to have a scanner to act as the master.

This is my impression as well from looking through the DNI manual.

The 1769-SDN would be compatible with a Micrologix 1500, but not the 1100 afaik.

Disclaimer: I've never used the 1761-NET-DNI, nor had a setup with both Micrologix and DeviceNet

I know this is just a trainer but I think I would put my efforts into something that is not discontinued.
Still lots of DeviceNet out there needing support (and thus people trained on it). Wouldn't want that to be the main training focus at this point, but there's definitely still a need for it imo.

There are also a lot of MicroLogix/SLC's using RSLogix 500 but I still would not recommend learning them unless you had a specific need and move to a newer platform (if possible)

Where I work, we got them all!

Our plant is a mix of every AB plc product line made going back to the PLC 5. We have a lot of Ethernet, DeviceNet, Asibus, and as well as Siemens.

The 1761-NET-DNI is not a DeviceNet scanner like the 1747-SDN or 1769-SDN or 1756-DNB.

Its usual purpose was to act as a DeviceNet slave node to a larger controller. It would exchange its Input and Output assembly data with specified integer data table files in the PLC/SLC/MicroLogix via the serial port.

While you *can* do some exotic and complicated things with it via explicit messaging from a MicroLogix, that's not its usual purpose.

If I were going to teach a class on legacy DeviceNet stuff, I would probably try to get a SLC-5/05 and a 1747-SDN.