Replace Panelview RP2 with RP8D

Harrstein

Good Morning,

One of our machines is controlled by a Panelview 1500 (2711P-B15C4D2). We already have the screen itself (RDB15C) as a spare but we'd also like to have a Logic module as a spare.

Now the RP2 thats currently running the application is only available as refurbished unit, and quite expensive ones at that, I started to look in to modern replacements and found that a RP8D should fit for what I can see.

Am I correct on this? And can I assume that I just take the current Application, build it as a V11 instead of the V5.11 as used on the RP2 and have it work?

Might be a bit of a of a open door question. But we don't do a lot of Allen Bradley here as the bulk of the plant is on Siemens.

To my understanding that should work -- when AB transitioned from Panelview Plus to Panelview Plus 6 they reused the bezel (screen) parts so the new module should be compatible with no issues.

Backwards compatibility for applications on PVPlus is also surprisingly good, you might well not even need to upgrade the application. Unlike Logix 5000 you don't need to match firmware. Running files built for older PVPlus versions on newer hardware is not guaranteed to work, but usually does without issues.

You shouldn't have any problems running a v5.1 firmware .MER on a V11 logic module. There might be problems if there is any real exotic programming in the runtime but it will probably run just fine.
If you have the project archive or can restore the current runtime into a project then rebuilding as v11 is the best option as v5.x will be disappearing from View Studio support in the future. (v12.x will be the last version to support working with v5.x).