Panasonic FPO motion control

matthew1

Hello all!

I hit the jackpot on this one. I work fifty hours a week but I'm a full time student. :)

Here is what I have thought I would share the whole story. We are clearing out the "storage warehouse" at work. There is a machine that had a length cutting servo control on it that got the Axe some years ago. The decision is made to throw it away (Management). My knowledge on motion control and steppers in general is limited so I see a great opportunity for learning.

I could not take the entire machine I figured the control box and mechanical drive assembly with motor would be more than enough. Unfortunately after I got the control box off and put it in my car the mechanics had thrown the rest of the machine in the dumpster with drive assembly and stepper attached. (no diving either auto term!)

Now I need to find another stepper motor to use with the system.

Here is my hardware.

Panasonic FPO-T32C Transistor output

Panasonic GT32 Touchscreen(very neat bridging to PLC via USB)

Vexta 5-phase driver P/N RKD514H-A (120volt input and PDF below) (Oriental motors)

I have the software for the panasonic HW (freeware versions)

Now I'm only lacking a motor and drive system.

The drive system is not a problem. The mechanics at work will make something for me once I get a motor and know the shaft type.

SO back to the issue I need to find a 5 phase open loop stepper motor that will work with the Vexta motion amplifier. Ohh and on a budget. On the Vexta site there are several motors listed for several hundred to over a thousand. Cant afford it. :oops:

The manufacturer's site lists everything by series. ex. RK drives are grouped with RK motors. I have not been able to find and RK series motors available through any second hand discount sources. Did find some PK series motors on ebay. http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vext...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ae4591c9

Does anyone know if this will cross over? I cant find any kind of compatibility chart for these motors to the controller. The PK looks like its a high efficiency motor on the technical data it only talks about the DC input controllers. Like i stated earlier knowledge is limited on steppers. All of the pulse diagrams are in square wave form. To me that would suggest DC output voltage regardless of input voltage. Don't want to assume. always gets me in trouble.

On Vexta's site they state--
"Differences between AC Input and DC Input Characteristics
A stepping motor is driven by a DC voltage applied through a driver. In Oriental Motor’s 24 VDC input motor and driver packages, 24 VDC is applied to the motor. In the 100-115 VAC motor and driver packages the input is rectified to DC and then approximately 140 VDC is applied to the motor. (Certain products are exceptions to this.)
This difference in voltages applied to the motors appears as a difference in torque characteristics at high speeds. This is due to the fact that the higher the applied voltage is, the faster the current rise through the motor windings will be, facilitating the application of rated current at higher speeds.
Thus, the AC input motor and driver package has superior torque characteristics over a wide speed range, from low to high speeds, offering a large speed ratio. It is recommended that AC input motor and driver packages, which are compatible with a wider range of operating conditions, be considered for your applications."

Is this standard for all steppers or just for Vexta? If so can i cross over another AC input motor if voltage to motor is 140 VDC?

May sound like alot of dumb questions but wanted to check with you guys before I ordered a motor and fryed it. :mad:

Thank you in advance!

Matthew