You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 10th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #1
tubedood
United States

Kinetix Drive question MOTIONVIEW

Sorry for my first question not a PLC one but I am sure the next will be! I am having difficulty connecting to a Kinetix 300 AB drive with the MotionView browser interface. Laptop is windows 10, the cable is known to be good. Tried 4 browsers (FireFox, IE Edge and Chrome) and all start to connect then give an error about security and certificates. I will post the exact error as soon as I go try again tonight. Browsers are up to date regarding Java and such and I have fiddled with the settings regarding trusts and security. Any tips would be great!

Dale
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #2
tubedood
United States

Actually I have the pics of the error I am getting here, hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg errorMV01.jpg (54.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg errorMV02.jpg (36.2 KB, 11 views)
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #3
PapaSmiff
United States

The problem may be that you can't use the most up-to-date Java version for MotionView. I know Java 6 works with it and you may be able to get Java 7 to work but I made the same mistake that you described (putting the most recent version of Java (8?) on my laptop).
I've been unsuccessful getting it off and acquiring the right version.
Old August 10th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #4
tubedood
United States

Thanks for the tip PapaSmiff! I downgraded to Java 8.102 (several releases prior to the one I had originally installed) and all seems well. I tried versions 7 and 6 at first but they weren't working for me. So far everything looks good running the FireFox browser.
Dale
Old August 10th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #5
tubedood
United States

One more item that I needed to do in case anyone else has this issue was add my drives IP address to the securities exceptions list in the Java configuration application.

Dale
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Adam13
United States

I ran into this problem today for the first time and thought I would share my solution. I was able to get things working with Java version 8, update 151 without downgrading to a previous version.

The java security settings must be modified first in order to run the MotionView java applet. This can be done by running Notepad in administrator mode and opening the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_151\lib\security\java.security . Change jre1.8.0_151 to match the most current Java installation on your computer. Remove references to MD5 and MD5withRSA from all lines that include ...disabledAlgorithms...
Skip the lines starting with # as they are just comments. Save the file and attempt to run MotionView again.

I don't run Java on my host laptop, but rather in a Hyper-v client as there are too many security holes in Java. Editing the security settings in this manner opens Java up even further, so proceed at your own risk. It would be best to keep the original security settings file and replace it after configuring the drives.

If time and production allow, it would also be better to update the drive firmware.
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #7
PapaSmiff
United States

Been away for a while...

tubedood: Happy to help and thanks for the point about the IP addresses.

Adam13: You have given me insight into a problem that's been nagging at me for a while now. Thank you.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum