You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1
shoelesscraig
United States

Factory Talk question

Ok, so here's the scoop!

I have Factory Talk View ME on 2 PCs at my plant. I have 1 concurrent license that I use for them. (For those who aren't familiar with this, this means that I borrow the license for the PC that I want to use the software on...the software can therefore only be used on 1 of the 2 PCs at a time). Anyways...

I've been using this setup for a while and it works great. The other day I went to fire up the program on 1 of the PCs (laptop) and it would NOT start. It gave me a message that said something like the following: "This program requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support".

It does this even if I have the activation on that PC. The software still works great on the other PC. I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling...no luck. I have to go through our corporate IT department to contact Rockwell, and you can take a guess at how speedy that will be. I figured I would ask you guys first to see if anyone has any ideas.
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Bob O
United States

Has IT installed security patches on this computer? MS05-51-KB902400
According to RA KB there is a number of possible causes to this.
Here is the link in the KB but it may require a tech contract.
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.c...rt/r_id/113025

Last edited by Bob O; February 20th, 2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #3
shoelesscraig
United States

I'm not sure if they have installed any security patches or not, I will check with them tomorrow. And I cannot see the KB article b/c it does require a tech contract.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas...(hoping Ken will chime in here!!!!)
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I don't have any helpful information on this issue. I haven't seen that error message before, and don't have access to the Knowledgebase anymore.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #5
todster
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelesscraig View Post
I'm not sure if they have installed any security patches or not, I will check with them tomorrow. And I cannot see the KB article b/c it does require a tech contract.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas...(hoping Ken will chime in here!!!!)
http://www.cse.sc.edu/~farkas/csce72...277,13,Current State of Security in this Area
If the update was installed a log will be in the system root.C:\windows\KB902400.log
Remove it using the Add/remove programs in control panel. appwiz.cpl from the run box
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM   #6
shoelesscraig
United States

Just to update this issue. I tried uninstalling the "FactoryTalk Services" that was on my PC (I assume that it comes with Studio ME) and reinstalling it...fixed it!! Now it works great! Not sure what happened, but now its good. Maybe this will help someone in the future.
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
krux
Mexico

I have Win XP SP3 and yesterday 28th june I installed some windows updates, today I couldn't open FactoryTalk View Studio, I got the same message: "This program requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support".

I did uninstall and install again "FactoryTalk Services", restart computer and then FactoryTalk View Studio opened but another message appeared telling me to stop RSLinx Enterprise service and close RSView before continuing.

I went to Services and found the RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic service were both disabled, so I set them to (start) Automatically.

Now it is working fine. Thanks.
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #8
mahmoud_ics
Tunisia

Hi everybody, i need help about this message when i start FactoryTalk View Studio, "this software requires personalized information that cannot be read."
i tested to launch FactoryTalk View Studio from Rockwell Software folder in Program folder (i have windows 7 / 32bits // the version of Factorytalk is 6.1), it gives another error message "Cannot connect to addin object
Name: View Studio SLHMI Project Handler
Cause: 80042089"
who have resolution fot that and i want to avoid uninstalling the software
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:13 AM   #9
koottz
India

Pointer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelesscraig View Post
Ok, so here's the scoop!

I have Factory Talk View ME on 2 PCs at my plant. I have 1 concurrent license that I use for them. (For those who aren't familiar with this, this means that I borrow the license for the PC that I want to use the software on...the software can therefore only be used on 1 of the 2 PCs at a time). Anyways...

I've been using this setup for a while and it works great. The other day I went to fire up the program on 1 of the PCs (laptop) and it would NOT start. It gave me a message that said something like the following: "This program requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support".

It does this even if I have the activation on that PC. The software still works great on the other PC. I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling...no luck. I have to go through our corporate IT department to contact Rockwell, and you can take a guess at how speedy that will be. I figured I would ask you guys first to see if anyone has any ideas.

just go to C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation... then remove the .rnl files from there...
then restat ftv/ftc... by arun koottz
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #10
Hoozie
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by koottz View Post
just go to C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation... then remove the .rnl files from there...
This worked for me. I just don't understand what the hell is going on. I also noticed that the date on the .rnl file was over a month old and the system time on the PC running FTV was set back to the same date! Anyone know what the .rnl file is?
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #11
epicnote
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Has IT installed security patches on this computer? MS05-51-KB902400
According to RA KB there is a number of possible causes to this.
Here is the link in the KB but it may require a tech contract.
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.c...rt/r_id/113025
That's mean we need to remove MS Security Patches in order to fix the problem? I have tried to remove the security patch from Add/Remove program but popup a window that consist of a list of programs that might not functioning properly if we remove the security patches. Can you guys explain this more details?? Thanks
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Mstachura
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by koottz View Post
This worked for me!!! Thanks for the help.
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #13
Joshua37
United States

I have similar error with RSLogix 5000 Mini. What do you guys reckon to be the solution? Should I reinstall the FT Service Platform?? I have FT Studio as well on the PC.
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #14
habadeer
United States

Thanks koottz!!! This worked for me....
(Windows 7 sp1, FactoryTalk View 6.1)
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #15
Aefyn
United States

Just adding this here as the above items didn't work for me.

http://www.plcmentor.com/Forum/forum...ope/posts.aspx

I held down shift and ctrl when starting RSlinx and it instantly worked. I had already rebooted the computer and deleted the .rnl files which did nothing. I verified the server was working as we have the remote activation. A separate computer was able to get an activation.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum