Factory Talk View SE Station (Standalone), to VM or not to VM,. that is the question

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Friends,

I am setting up Panel PCs to run SE Standalone, and I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone here could answer from experience (I am pretty sure we have the exp here).

Have you used Unified Write Filter Successfully with SE Station?
Have you used both Virtualized and non? Which is better and why?

If you used a virtualized PC, which platform? VMWare Workstation? Player?

Can Player be used on Industrial / Commercial applications (licensing).

Did you use Desktop Lock with VM? Host would need to boot first, then guest, locking out operator from both Operating Systems...

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Have you used Unified Write Filter Successfully with SE Station?
Have not used this.

Have you used both Virtualized and non? Which is better and why?
Both. We always use VMs when given the choice. If the customer isn't comfortable then we won't. Managing changes, updates, and crashes are much easier with a VM. Take a snapshot before making a change. If it doesn't work, you revert back to that point in time. If the host computer crashes, just copy the VM from your backup location to the new computer and you can be up and running quickly.

If you used a virtualized PC, which platform? VMWare Workstation? Player?
We typically use VMware Workstation Pro or Workstation Player. But if the customer has a preference for another tool we can use that instead.

Can Player be used on Industrial / Commercial applications (licensing).
For Commercial Use Player must be purchased. The free version would violate the terms if used in any sort of commercial use.

Did you use Desktop Lock with VM? Host would need to boot first, then guest, locking out operator from both Operating Systems...
We used to use this but haven't used it in many years. These types of tools were more hassle than they were worth.

OG

Have not used this.

Both. We always use VMs when given the choice. If the customer isn't comfortable then we won't. Managing changes, updates, and crashes are much easier with a VM. Take a snapshot before making a change. If it doesn't work, you revert back to that point in time. If the host computer crashes, just copy the VM from your backup location to the new computer and you can be up and running quickly.

We typically use VMware Workstation Pro or Workstation Player. But if the customer has a preference for another tool we can use that instead.

For Commercial Use Player must be purchased. The free version would violate the terms if used in any sort of commercial use.

We used to use this but haven't used it in many years. These types of tools were more hassle than they were worth.

OG

Thank you very much, this is a big help and confirmation on my thoughts and opinions. Great sanity check.