You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
highvoltage8471
United States

slc 5/04 with AB-KT-1 driver

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to communicate to a slc 5/04 processor that is currently configured to DH 485 using an AB-KT-1 driver. I have an old version of RS Linx Classic that comes with Factory Talk. I did order a newer version of RS Linx Gateway but do not have it available at the moment. I know you can download drivers from AB via internet, but my concerns are:

1. Am I wasting my time and need Gateway, or is the version of Linx that I have ok?

2. Has anyone ever used a FC2A-KC4C which is a DH 485 cable for a Idec micro PLC? I see cautions all over this due to grounding of cables and could cause damage to the processor.
The only cables I have available at the moment are a RS-232 null cable from AB, Idec as mentioned above and the 1747-PIC with a RS-232/Ethernet and no where to plug in Ethernet on processor, just 232 and the 9 pin D schell type.

I would apretiate any help possible with this. Thank you.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #2
sthompson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage8471 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to communicate to a slc 5/04 processor that is currently configured to DH 485 using an AB-KT-1 driver. I have an old version of RS Linx Classic that comes with Factory Talk. I did order a newer version of RS Linx Gateway but do not have it available at the moment. I know you can download drivers from AB via internet, but my concerns are:

1. Am I wasting my time and need Gateway, or is the version of Linx that I have ok?

2. Has anyone ever used a FC2A-KC4C which is a DH 485 cable for a Idec micro PLC? I see cautions all over this due to grounding of cables and could cause damage to the processor.
The only cables I have available at the moment are a RS-232 null cable from AB, Idec as mentioned above and the 1747-PIC with a RS-232/Ethernet and no where to plug in Ethernet on processor, just 232 and the 9 pin D schell type.

I would apretiate any help possible with this. Thank you.
The KT Card is for DH+ which the SLC5/04 supports. The other Port on the SLC5/04 is RS-232. The Protocol can be either DF1 or DH-485. The 1747-PIC can communicate with SLC5/03 and lower, however, the Plug on the PLCs is not EtherNet. Don't plug anything else into them except a proper Interface and Cable, or damage could result.

For the DH+ Port on the SLC5/04 you need either Blue Hose connected to the 3 Pin Plug, or a Cable that plugs into the MiniDIN beside it.

You can find the relevant Manuals here.

http://literature.rockwellautomation..._category.hcst

Stu....

Last edited by sthompson; August 6th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #3
highvoltage8471
United States

Thanks, It appears I need to get a KT card for my laptop and a cable also as far as I can see.
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Operaghost
United States

The driver you mentioned is for specific hardware. The 1784-PCMK card was a PCMCIA type module used with laptops. However, that type of card is being phased out by most laptop makers in favor of USB.

Rockwell no longer makes this card and has gone the route of a USB interface.

The RS232 null modem cable should be all you need to communicate through the 9-pin D-Shell connector on the SLC-5/04. There are of course catches to that as that port can be reconfigured for other uses and protocols.

I wouldn't bother buying a new USB or PCMCIA type interface unless the serial connection is not sufficient.

OG
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum