You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 18th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #1
marcoose
France

Micrologix 1100 and Insight Cognex Communication

Hi all happy users,

Does anyone knows how to retrieve the value in a Rockwell MicroLogix 1100 after sending a GV (Get Value) native command to an Insight Sensor ?

I can easily send command as SE (Set Event) or SO0/SO1 (Set Online), but I don't know how to recover the returned values after a GV command.
Any informations ?

Regards;
Marc
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #2
dmargineau
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

What communications protocol and circuitry are you using between the ML1100 and the Cognex vision device(Model Number?)are you using?
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #3
marcoose
France

Hi,
I'm using Ethernet/IP protocol, and Insight 7000 sensor (IS7200-01) by Cognex
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
dmargineau
United States

I am afraid you are chasing the wrong goose here...
You have probably followed the InSight-to-ControlLogix EtherNet/IP integration examples...This is a pretty common mistake for first time users of the modern MicroLogix CPU family, series which, even if carries the MicroLogix name, it is not a Logix Class CPU....
Rather then using the Logix GSV/SSV commands you will have to use Explicit Messaging (MSG) over EtherNet/IP communications in order to Read/Write from/to the ML1100 CPU and the InSight 7000 vision device.
I have attached a.zip containing several InSight 7000 to SLC data transfer examples; try following up this method since the ML1100 CPUs are similar to the SLC ones in many aspects.
Attached Files
File Type: zip slc_example.zip (51.0 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by dmargineau; October 18th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
marcoose
France

Thanks,
Il use for a long time this type of communication, but only with "passive" command as SE0 or SO0/SO1 to pilot the Insight Sensor.
The question is how to retrieve the datas send by the Sensor after an GV command. I question the value of the spreadsheet cell ans I want to get this result:

GVA005 => send by the Micrologix PLC
1 => returned by the sensor, but where ?
10.000 => return by the sensor but where ?
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
dmargineau
United States

What means of software are you using to send the "passive commands" to the InSight camera?
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
marcoose
France

During my tests, I'm using hyperterminal. I want to make the same thing with the Micrologix, but with no success with the GV command ...
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #8
dmargineau
United States

The .zip file I have posted contains both .JOB files (I presume the extension used by the InSight Explorer configuration software)and .RSS files used by the ML1100 RSLogix 500 user software.
Do you have both software copies and the two application files (the vision device and the ML1100 controller)?
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:53 AM   #9
marcoose
France

The examples in the zip files don't working for me, because I want to send a native command (character format: SE8, SO0, GV005 ...) from a Micro 1100 to a Insight 7000 Sensor, and retrieve the Sensor answer immediatly.

The problem is that "Passive" native command, as SE8 or SO0 are working correctly.
But the GV (GetValue) command don't work fine because I don't know how to read the sensor response.
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:30 AM   #10
vandep
Viet Nam

now,I have a problem. Can you help me?
I have a MCGSTPC type TPC7062KX use for control the weld-machine ,now the weld-machine have some problem in operation , I diagnostic the reason because of the programe in the MCGSTPC , but I do not have the software , Please help me !
Old October 21st, 2013, 03:43 AM   #11
marcoose
France

Hi vandep, I think you're on the wrong Forum ...
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:23 AM   #12
dmargineau
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoose View Post
The examples in the zip files don't working for me, because I want to send a native command (character format: SE8, SO0, GV005 ...) from a Micro 1100 to a Insight 7000 Sensor, and retrieve the Sensor answer immediatly.

The problem is that "Passive" native command, as SE8 or SO0 are working correctly.
But the GV (GetValue) command don't work fine because I don't know how to read the sensor response.
You have previously stated that you are sending the "native" commands via Hyperterminal on a Serial RS-232 link to the InSight device; what makes you think you could accomplish this over the Ethernet port of the ML1100 controller?
Your CPU supports ASCII commands over the Serial RS232/485 on-board communications port, Channel 0; I don't believe you will be able to Read/Write ASCII over the Ethernet port.
Refer to Chapter 4 of http://literature.rockwellautomation...m001_-en-p.pdf
and Chapter 20 of http://literature.rockwellautomation...m001_-en-p.pdf
for implementing ASCII communications on a ML1100 platform.
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #13
marcoose
France

Hi all, it's working now.

Thanks for your help.
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM   #14
mgrigsby0211
United States

OK, so I am going to post this here since I'm also trying to communicate between a ML1100 and a 7010 camera. I am trying to communicate through CIP Generic messaging. I seem to have everything going back and forth OK between the PLC and the Vision Object of the camera, but I'm not sure how to access my results. I have been on the phone numerous times with Cognex tech support, but everything they have me try has failed. From now on I will use a Compact Logix with a vision system, but for now it is what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:17 PM   #15
FactoryTalktotheHand
United States

Just thought I'd leave this here. dmargineau's work provided the basis for it and set me in the right direction. The major thing I ran into with his example though is for some read a 500CPU type read will only allow one data type to be read correctly. Even if I split it up into multiple message statements to read each type, only the type that resides at byte 0 in the MapSpec will read back correctly. I changed it to a PLC5 type read and had no issue with multiple data types. I posted my example program in the downloads section here: http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index....=Allen_Bradley

It's called ML1400_COGNEX_CIPMSG.zip

Since I was unable to save the Camera Job (demo unit from local rep, not sure what was going on), I couldn't include it but I included a Readme detailing how I set it up. It includes Triggering, Reading Data, and Changing Jobs over Ethernet/IP. I tested it successfully with the setup I had.

I feel like I've set it up to be as clear and logical as I can but if anyone has any questions, please let me know and I'll try an answer.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum