1200E Panelview

paulc20

I have to replace an old 1200E Panelview with a 1400 Panelview. The 1200E was programmed with a DOS package. I have Panelbuilder 32 but it dooes not list a 1200E as a supported device. Is it possible to upload the program from the 1200E or is it possible to convert the file from the dos package?

PanelBuilder LePew

First, the bad news: You've got a stinker of a project on your hands.

The PanelView "Classic" and "Enhanced" terminals share nothing in common with the "Standard" flatscreens we use today except a brand name. You cannot convert files between the two families of products.

You'll have to obtain programming software to upload and document the project in the existing PanelView, so let's be certain about what product and version of software will support what you have.

If you have the opportunity, switch the key on the back of the terminal into Configuration mode and see if there's some revision and firmware info. I don't think there was ever a product that had "1200e" on it's part number or label; some 1200 Classics were upgraded to run 1400e firmware long ago, but if it has character-type graphics this is just a Classic terminal.

The Classic PanelViews had a DOS-based editor "PanelBuilder 1200" as well as a Windows-based editor. The DOS-based one will handle all firmware versions, and the Windows based editor will handle only 5.x firmware.

The Enhanced PanelViews have a Windows-based editor, "PanelBuilder 1400e", that is still available.

Both are pretty darn expensive and unwieldy if all you need to do is extract a configuration and document it for manual conversion. Hire that out if at all possible.

I shipped my last Enhanced PanelView demo out as an "emergency loan" to a sawmill two years ago... they still have it and won't pay me for it. Rockwell Automation GMS has all the software and technotes in the world and they may be able to do a conversion from PanelView 1200 to RSView Machine Edition, if you wish to retain the functionality and appearance of the application.

Hi Guys, I did exactly what the gentleman is trying to do, I had a panelview classic 1200 and dumped the file into panelbuilder 1400e software and saved it. It changed the file extension from panelview 1200.cfg to panelview 1400e .pvc. Open the .cfg file from panelview 1200 a window comes up and says that this is from a previous version of panelview and must convert files.Click ok and the conversion is done then I saved it as a 1400(.pvc) file and dumped it onto the 1400e terminal and all was OK.

Download Firmware revision 5.10.0 or above to panelview 1200 classic from the allen bradley website first before you do the file exchange.

My panelbuilder 1400e version is V05.15.00 build(1)

If you require further help e-mail me at [email protected]

Dane

It's those pesky "e" that make the difference

I've always been a strict constructionist, which pretty much doomed me to a career outside constitutional law.

Converting from a Classic to an Enhanced PanelView is, as Danester pointed out, a fairly simple matter. If it were up to me, I'd try to get the PanelView 1200E replaced with a 1400E, which should fit in the same cutout and will directly import the application file.

What Paul said he's trying to do, however, is convert from an Enhanced PanelView (a 1200e) to a Standard PanelView (1400, not 1400e). Those software packages just aren't compatible, as they have different formats and features.

Difference between 1400 and 1400E

Thank you everyone for your help.
I am able to borrow DOS Panelbuilder to upload the application.

Ken, what is the difference between the 1400 and 1400E, my Rockwel distributor has given me a price on a 1400, is the 1400E available as well?

To "e" or not to "e"

Those PanelView model numbers are no end of confusion, aren't they ?

The PanelView 1400e "Enhanced" terminal has a 14" CRT screen and is configured with the "PanelBuilder 1400e" software.

The PanelView 1400 also has a 14" CRT scree, but is a "Standard" PanelView terminal, programmed with PanelBuilder32. It runs the same OS and applications as the more familiar flatscreen PanelView terminals, such as the 300, 550, 900 and 1000 models.

If you have a PanelView 1200 Classic or PanelView 1200e that has been upgraded from Classic to Enhanced, the very easiest thing to do is to get a PanelView 1400e (CRT) or PanelView 1000e (flatscreen) to replace it. The PanelBuilder 1400e software will directly open and convert the old application program (as Dane described).

The Enhanced terminals will be more expensive than their Standard cousins, but if your time is worth more than a little, it's best to stick with the terminal that requires less work to migrate.