1734-485ASC module usability !!

Joshua37

Hey all,

Warm wishes to all of the season :)

Ok, so I have a few(25) temperature controllers which have RS485 ports for communication. The requirement is to fetch a few analog data(temp) from these and display it onto a PV HMI.
I am supposed to get this done using a spare 1734-485ASC module on a 1734-AENT.

What is a 1734-485ASC Module?
Can it/does it use modbus protocol to acquire data?

I have used the serial port of a COMPACTLOGIX PROC. in an earlier project to read data using the rockwell modbus master program? Can't I just use the same program again over using this module ??
Which would be more practical?

Yes,I am new to this, but would love try this out :D

Can anyone guide me ?
And also a link to the ascii module's user and programming manual(if there is one) would be helpful.

Hey all,

Ok, so I have a few(25) temperature controllers which have RS485 ports for communication. The requirement is to fetch a few analog data(temp) from these and display it onto a PV HMI.

I have used the serial port of a COMPACTLOGIX PROC. in an earlier project to read data using the rockwell modbus master program? Can't I just use the same program again over using this module ??

Can anyone guide me ?
And also a link to the ascii module's user and programming manual(if there is one) would be helpful.

OK. Go to www.ab.com
On the lower left side, click Literature Library.
On the right side, where it says Search Here... type in 1734-485ASC, then click the SEARCH button.
The list of documents related, will be reported in the Search Results window.

Have fun.

I can say from experience that it is nearly impossible* to implement Modbus RTU using the 1734-485ASC module.

There are multiple better options.

If you want to stick with the POINT I/O form factor, Prosoft Technology has a new module called the ILX34-MBS that implements Modbus RTU using similar hardware to the 1734-xxxASC modules.

There are other network gateway devices that are very good as well. I have used the HMS Fieldbus Communicator, the Red Lion DataStation Plus, and the GridConnect Net485-MB.

Is your HMI a PanelView Plus ?

If so, you could use an RS-232/485 converter and the Modbus RTU driver to get that data directly from the temperature controllers into the PV+ terminal.

Thanks Ken,

I have only two options:
Eithe use the 1734-485ASC module or get data to the serial port using 1761 NET AIC module.

Is your HMI a PanelView Plus ?

If so, you could use an RS-232/485 converter and the Modbus RTU driver to get that data directly from the temperature controllers into the PV+ terminal.
I don't exactly understand. Could you please elaborate on that ?? :confused:

I recommend strongly against the Modbus RTU Master implementation on the controller's serial port, and extremely strongly against attempting that implementation using the 1734-485ASC.

The PanelView Plus terminals can run non-Rockwell protocols using an included edition of Kepware's KepServer EX. This includes Modbus RTU protocol.

You could connect an RS-232 to RS-485 converter (like the 1761-NET-AIC) to your PanelView Plus serial port, and use that driver to poll the Modbus devices. That would allow you to get data directly into the PanelView Plus application.

Hey all,

Can anyone guide me ?

You don't mention Modbus RTU, but, if you want real excitement, you could try the 1769-SM2 module. It does work to Modbus RTU, but it is a bit of a challenge...I would direct you to the Knowledgebase.
Or, of course, the straightforward approach: Buy a prosoft module.
(Yes, I know you don't want to buy anything)